1. Germany
    Moves
    21 May '14 15:37
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ok before i appear any more stupid i am going to read quantum mechanics for total noobs, starting here.

http://www.abarim-publications.com/QuantumMechanicsIntroduction.html

wish me luck.
    It took me several seconds to find the first error. Try instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_quantum_mechanics
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '14 22:48
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It took me several seconds to find the first error. Try instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_quantum_mechanics
    what was erroneous?
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 May '14 23:15
    what was erroneous?
    Hold that thought (1):

Individual quantum particles are subjected to a completely different law than the law
    to which large objects made from quantum particles are subjected.

Given that large objects are made of large numbers of particles following the laws
    of quantum mechanics it cannot be [and isn't] the case that large objects follow
    completely different laws than the particles that make them.

This is a highly flawed, and frankly just plain wrong way of viewing what is going on.

Everything is made up of tiny particles [or vibrating strings?] which follow a simple
    set of physical laws. The behaviour of larger collections of these particles can be
    approximated by other models/laws, but the larger objects are still actually only
    following the laws that govern the particles that make them.

It's a very important distinction, and the way they put it is highly likely to lead to
    misconceptions about what is going on. Which is not a good way to start.

This isn't the only thing they start off getting wrong, but I have neither the time
    nor inclination to go through and list them all.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    22 May '14 05:39
    what was erroneous?
    For instance, there are more than just two kinds of quark. I'm sure there are plenty more mistakes, but such an elementary error is enough to dismiss the entire article.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 May '14 06:341 edit
    ok before i appear any more stupid i am going to read quantum mechanics for total noobs, starting here.

http://www.abarim-publications.com/QuantumMechanicsIntroduction.html

wish me luck.
    Quantum mechanics is for total noobs.

😀
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 May '14 06:48
    I recommend some Richard Feynman lectures starting here:
    YouTube

However if you are willing to do the math, then there are university level courses available on the internet for free eg:
    http://oyc.yale.edu/physics/phys-201#sessions
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '14 07:29
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I recommend some Richard Feynman lectures starting here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdZMXWmlp9g

However if you are willing to do the math, then there are university level courses available on the internet for free eg:
    http://oyc.yale.edu/physics/phys-201#sessions
    No sir i don't want to do the maths, I simply want to understand what the concepts are, it is enough for me
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '14 07:31
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Hold that thought (1):

Individual quantum particles are subjected to a completely different law than the law
    to which large objects made from quantum particles are subjected.

Given that large objects are made of large numbers of particles following the laws
    of quantum mechanics it cannot be [and isn't] the case that large objects ...[text shortened]... ff getting wrong, but I have neither the time
    nor inclination to go through and list them all.
    This is a highly flawed, and frankly just plain wrong way of viewing what is going on.

so you are saying that they behave in exactly the same way?
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    22 May '14 09:176 edits

No, googlefudge is right about quantum mechanics applying to all systems regardless of scale and all quantum physicists would rationally agree. But note that quantum effects are generally much less evident and hard to detect on a larger scale and that other equations other than quantum equations give a accurate enough disruption of that is going on on a larger scale at least most of the time. For example, if you wanted to calculate the amounts of mechanic forces on your bones, you would use Newtonian physics equations and not quantum physics equations since quantum effects on those forces (at least its direct effect. Its indirect effects may be a completely different matter ) would be extremely miniscule on that scale as to be completely negligible and probably totally undetectable. And yet, because the same quantum laws apply to ALL scales, those same quantum effects, minute and negligible as they often are on the larger scale, would nevertheless STILL exist on that scale; it is just that you wouldn't see them.

Of course, for any large scale system, if you arbitrary pick any tiny bit of it that is small enough, you should be able to detect strong quantum effects on that tiny bit of it even though you may not detect quantum effects on the large scale system as a whole. So that is yet another sense (but a subtly different one if you think about it carefully ) that quantum physics applies to all systems regardless of scale.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    22 May '14 13:54

They don't behave in the same way, but are governed by the same equations.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '14 13:591 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    They don't behave in the same way, but are governed by the same equations.
    so the behavior of these particles are different, although under the same laws? like law abiding citizens and outlaws.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 May '14 14:12
    so the behavior of these particles are different, although under the same laws? like law abiding citizens and outlaws.
    I don't see the problem here.
    Elephants and mice are made of the same kind of matter (proteins, water, fat, etc) but they behave very differently. Yes, and...?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '14 14:56
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I don't see the problem here.
    Elephants and mice are made of the same kind of matter (proteins, water, fat, etc) but they behave very differently. Yes, and...?
    There is no actual problem, googlefudge pointed out a mistake, in that a site that i cited had posted erroneous material stating that the laws for very small particles are different than the laws which govern large 'groups of particles'. My understanding is now that this is not the case, for the laws are the same, simply their respective behavior is different. Why it should be different though i cannot say.
  14. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    22 May '14 16:22
    There is no actual problem, googlefudge pointed out a mistake, in that a site that i cited had posted erroneous material stating that the laws for very small particles are different than the laws which govern large 'groups of particles'. My understanding is now that this is not the case, for the laws are the same, simply their respective behavior is different. Why it should be different though i cannot say.
    read my previous post.
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 May '14 16:513 edits
    Essentially it is statistical. In quantum theory the modulus square of the wavefunction evaluated at some position gives the probability per unit volume of finding a particle in an arbitrarily small box centred on that position. Imagine the wave-function is a Gaussian function - a bell curve, then the width of the bell curve is the uncertainty in finding the particle. The uncertainty in the position of an electron and a cannon ball is given by the same rule. but the electron is small compared with the uncertainty and a cannon ball is huge by comparison with the uncertainty - around 43 orders of magnitude bigger. So quantum effects are not evident on macroscopic scales.

The page on "Compton Wavelength" on Wikipedia talks about this, see especially the bit about "Limitations on Measurement".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree