1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Dec '18 18:35
    https://phys.org/news/2018-12-black-hole-singularity.html

If you look at the image it shows a 'top half' and bottom half, like a mirror image. Is that supposed to be somehow going to another dimension?
  2. Joined
    06 Dec '18
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 05:041 edit
    No.
    We get our space answers from images and calculations but if nothing escapes a black hole...not even light...then we couldn't possibly see what is at the black hole to give us answers as to what's there.
    But...with "Loop quantum gravity" ...a theory/calculation...it would tell us what is at the center of a black hole.
    That picture shows the black hole on the bottom and all the information/light at the top to basically say..."with Loop quantum gravity we can still calculate and see what is at the center of a black hole"
    Where as before with Einstein's theory of relativity we can't get that information but with the loop quantum gravity theory we can get the information.
    It's a stupid and bad picture that confuses more than it explains.
    That's my take on it.
    Outer space and Chess are my only interests. 😉
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 08:55
    @nomorechess said
    No.
    We get our space answers from images and calculations but if nothing escapes a black hole...not even light...then we couldn't possibly see what is at the black hole to give us answers as to what's there.
    But...with "Loop quantum gravity" ...a theory/calculation...it would tell us what is at the center of a black hole.
    That picture shows the black hole on the bottom ...[text shortened]... nfuses more than it explains.
    That's my take on it.
    Outer space and Chess are my only interests. 😉
    I think the word is still out on that, there is the theory about black holes being a white hole popping up in another dimension. Of course speculation but that image may be intimating such a thing.
    One thing seems clear to me, there is not a place of infinite gravity, I think it comes to some state less than infinite and I think loop gravity backs that up.
  4. Joined
    06 Dec '18
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 23:34
    I think another "dimension" is impossible just like time travel.
    These two theories will always be theory. If there is another dimension then why not 1 million dimensions? How can two "systems" occupy the same space but never interfere with each other? How could we enter this other dimension? Wouldn't that opening rip apart the whole multi dimensional universe thus make dimensions occupy the same space physically? To save time I will just say time travel is impossible. You can't go backwards or forwards in this universe. It is based on gases and rock and ice and empty space.
    That crap about leaving earth faster than light thus going back in time is bull. The "image" of earth would technically be from some point in the past cause you are going faster than light BUT when you went back to earth it would be normal time. So if you could leave earth faster than light and turn around and look at earth the "image" would be from the past but you wouldn't be able to zoom in on earth and watch the past.

You got me.going now.

Multiple dimensions and time travel are impossible. I wish I was smart enough to prove it. You will just have to believe me 😉
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 00:15
    @nomorechess said
    How can two "systems" occupy the same space but never interfere with each other?
    The 2D creature living on a sheet of photocopy
    paper doesn't realise his world is part of a ream does he?
  6. Joined
    06 Dec '18
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 00:18
    What?
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 04:551 edit
    @nomorechess said
    What?
    Life could be a ream (from Sh-Boom).
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 12:10
    @sonhouse said
    https://phys.org/news/2018-12-black-hole-singularity.html

If you look at the image it shows a 'top half' and bottom half, like a mirror image. Is that supposed to be somehow going to another dimension?
    In the article they talk about Kruskal black holes. This refers to an extended version of the Schwartzschild solution which has a white hole attached to it and is what the artist is trying to represent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kruskal–Szekeres_coordinates
  9. Joined
    06 Dec '18
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 14:52
    Now there is white holes?

We clearly have no idea what is going on in space.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 16:34
    @deepthought said
    In the article they talk about Kruskal black holes. This refers to an extended version of the Schwartzschild solution which has a white hole attached to it and is what the artist is trying to represent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kruskal–Szekeres_coordinates
    By white hole, doesn't that imply a line to another dimension? Or at minimum a line to another place in OUR dimension? How can either of those things happen without reference to extra dimensions?
  11. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 16:42
    @nomorechess said

Clearly, yes.
  12. Joined
    06 Dec '18
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 16:56
    LoL I doubt we ever will.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 20:27
    @sonhouse said
    By white hole, doesn't that imply a line to another dimension? Or at minimum a line to another place in OUR dimension? How can either of those things happen without reference to extra dimensions?
    Depends, do you think that a curved space-time implies an additional dimension for it to curve into?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Dec '18 02:25
    @deepthought said
    Depends, do you think that a curved space-time implies an additional dimension for it to curve into?
    I would think so. If there was some kind of loop from a black hole becoming a white hole I would think there would be detectable effects going on, some kind of say, gravity lens different from the lens of a black hole, maybe a spike sticking out or some such. If we don't see any other effects we note from black holes already, it would seem to me to be evidence (if the white hole thing is correct) or lack of evidence but maybe energy going away or something.
    If the black/white hole thing was connecting to another dimension there would be not much going on to reveal that I would think, as opposed to a black hole with a white hole popping up nearby or some such.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Dec '18 10:50
    @nomorechess said

'We'?

No, 'clearly', it's just 'you'.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree