1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 14:15
    So the higgs is supposed to be the particle that gives other particles mass, but what gives the Higgs its own mass?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 15:26
    Other Higgs bosons, I suppose.
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 15:485 edits
    I am no expert on this so I may be mistaken but I thought it is not the actual Higgs boson itself that is supposed to directly give particles their mass but rather it is the “Higgs mechanism” that is the actual thing that is supposed to directly give particles their mass and the Higgs mechanism is the interaction between the “Higgs field” and the Higgs boson.

Anyone; is that completely right?
  4. SubscriberScheel
    Knight
    h8
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 20:10
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Other Higgs bosons, I suppose.
    Maybe, but what is the force carrier then ?
    Guess somebody who knows something about it could set the record straight ?
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    11 Sep '12 00:21
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So the higgs is supposed to be the particle that gives other particles mass, but what gives the Higgs its own mass?
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:eM-V_LbE1yYJ:www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D618486+but+what+gives+the+Higgs+its+own+mass&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    11 Sep '12 07:504 edits
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:eM-V_LbE1yYJ:www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D618486+but+what+gives+the+Higgs+its+own+mass&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
    I am not sure if that conversation confirms or refutes what I just said. It mentions:

“...Higgs interacts with itself, which gives it the mass....”

“....So would you be able to generalize and say that the higgs is mass?
    No. The Higgs has a mass, and it is responsible for the mass of other elementary partices. It is responsible for about 1% of the mass of all everyday matter.
    ...”

“...the Higgs boson is responsible for the rest mass of particles only. Most of the mass of everyday objects (~99% ) comes from binding energy in protons and neutrons. ...”

the “Higgs field” was mentioned there but not the “Higgs mechanism” which surprises me because I thought the Higgs mechanism would be directly relevant to the question there.
  7. Wat?
    Moves
    11 Sep '12 13:18
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If we knew that, then we'd know where the energy came from to create the BB from a singularity.

A very pertinent question, regarding both 'matters'... 😀

-m. 😉
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Sep '12 13:42
    Originally posted by Scheel
    Fractal Higgs bosons!

Richard, only half joking
  9. Germany
    Moves
    12 Sep '12 13:58
    Originally posted by Scheel
    The Higgs boson does not explain gravity, it explains mass (but not dark matter from what I understand). The mediation of the force of gravity is not done by the Higgs boson.
  10. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 14:24
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The Higgs boson does not explain gravity, it explains mass (but not dark matter from what I understand). The mediation of the force of gravity is not done by the Higgs boson.
    If I understand correctly it doesn't explain mass, but it's existence is a necessary consequence from the Higgs mechanism.

So if mass is explained by the Higgs mechanism there has to be a particle, which now conviniently is named Higgs Boson.

I am open to discuss this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree