1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 13:15
    http://www.physorg.com/news204349619.html

You have to watch the video's to see just how clever this system is! The third or fourth one down shows a closeup moving schematic. It's really clever!
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 17:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.physorg.com/news204349619.html

You have to watch the video's to see just how clever this system is! The third or fourth one down shows a closeup moving schematic. It's really clever!
    It looks really interesting. Now do I have to import it from Hungary?
    It looks like gear changes would be much smoother, and possibly more trouble free.

What it can't do is back-pedal braking which some chained bike have.
  3. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 18:03
    Looks like it'd slip a lot which wouldn't be fun for say going uphill or in the mud.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 18:24
    Originally posted by ua41
    Looks like it'd slip a lot which wouldn't be fun for say going uphill or in the mud.
    Did you look at the animation video of the parts working? I don't think there is any way it can slip. It looks like there are two one way clutches one on each side where you apply power from each pedal in turn, one going back, no thrust, while the other side is pulling, with thrust, so its left side thrust, slip while the other side thrusts, which then slips while the first side thrusts, etc. No slipping.
  5. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 18:31
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Did you look at the animation video of the parts working? I don't think there is any way it can slip. It looks like there are two one way clutches one on each side where you apply power from each pedal in turn, one going back, no thrust, while the other side is pulling, with thrust, so its left side thrust, slip while the other side thrusts, which then slips while the first side thrusts, etc. No slipping.
    Yeah, but it just seems so flimsy.
    I'd much rather play with it in person first 🙂
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 14:42
    Originally posted by ua41
    Yeah, but it just seems so flimsy.
    I'd much rather play with it in person first 🙂
    It all depends on whether this bike can be built close to or even cheaper than the standard chain bike. It so, you will see them up close when they hit Walmart and such.

One question I have is how would it perform as a racing bike, Ala the Tour De France?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree