This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Jul '18 11:18
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    That would be a real boon for amputees if they can figure out how to introduce the genes responsible for regrowth. So at least lab specimens are still alive so future genetic research won't be lost as well.
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '18 02:50
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    That would be a real boon for amputees if they can figure out how to introduce the genes responsible for regrowth. So at least lab specimens are still alive so future genetic research won't be lost as well.
    From memory, I think this is a matter of anatomy rather than genetics. The way bones form in conjunction with nerves and vessels does not lend itself well to faithful and reproducible regeneration of limbs. Other mammalian parts do regenerate: skin, blood, hair, muscle.

Axolotl's are pretty cool (and incredibly rare) though. But we can't just introduce their genes and ... voila... new limbs.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Jul '18 05:29
    Originally posted by @wildgrass
    From memory, I think this is a matter of anatomy rather than genetics. The way bones form in conjunction with nerves and vessels does not lend itself well to faithful and reproducible regeneration of limbs. Other mammalian parts do regenerate: skin, blood, hair, muscle.

Axolotl's are pretty cool (and incredibly rare) though. But we can't just introduce their genes and ... voila... new limbs.
    I had a look at the Wikipedia page, the section on regeneration does not talk about why it does not work in mammals. However, it does mention that they heal without scarring, a property of human embryos, and that if injected with thyroid hormones to induce metamorphosis, their ability to regenerate is greatly reduced. So it seems to be to do with not fully leaving the larval stage. Humans do heal like this (although probably not to the extent of regrowing limbs) but only as embryos and we do not have a huge amount of choice about leaving that stage...
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    11 Jul '18 13:05
    stem cells
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jul '18 18:361 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '18 18:51
    Originally posted by @deepthought
    I had a look at the Wikipedia page, the section on regeneration does not talk about why it does not work in mammals. However, it does mention that they heal without scarring, a property of human embryos, and that if injected with thyroid hormones to induce metamorphosis, their ability to regenerate is greatly reduced. So it seems to be to do with not ...[text shortened]... imbs) but only as embryos and we do not have a huge amount of choice about leaving that stage...
    Indeed, among tissues that do regenerate in mammals, e.g. skin and blood, there is evidence that developmental programs are being partially reactivated. The microenvironmental context is of course very different, however. The braking mechanisms in adult regeneration are very important (to avoid neoplasms).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree