02 Oct '18 04:24

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '18 08:16
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    There are always luck-seekers among every field, in this case mathematics.

There were numerous amature mathematics that had a proof of Fermats Last Theorem who sent in their version to the nearby university's Mathematical departement. This took a lot of time and energy to refute every one by the staff, so they hated it. But if they didn't do it, they might miss the real proof.

Same goes in the field of Perpetuum Mobiles, where the Departements of Physics gets their load of 'proofs'. Where I worked for a period, they had a file called crack-nut file at the book-shelf. Every year they had a gala with heavy drinking and laughters where some of the most crazy letters were read to everyones delight. We loved it!

So these unsolved scientific problems are always attracting people who thinks they found a solution. In this case the proof of Riemann Hypothesis.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Oct '18 14:26
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    There are always luck-seekers among every field, in this case mathematics.

There were numerous amature mathematics that had a proof of Fermats Last Theorem who sent in their version to the nearby university's Mathematical departement. This took a lot of time and energy to refute every one by the staff, so they hated it. But if they didn't do it, they ...[text shortened]... ttracting people who thinks they found a solution. In this case the proof of Riemann Hypothesis.
    Do you have degrees in physics? Do you teach?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Oct '18 17:571 edit

6. RSA
    Moves
    02 Oct '18 18:402 edits
    Regardless of whether or not his proof works out, kudos to Michael Atiyah for still giving it a go well into his ninth decade. I hope to still be at it when I am that old.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Oct '18 19:074 edits

8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '18 20:11
    I didn't mention anyone by name. This was only a general remark.
  9. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 06:391 edit
    @fabianfnas said
    We consider the Riemann true already.
    We do? I don't.

In any case there certainly is no shortage of papers out there that have proven that such-and-such statement is equivalent to the Riemann Hypothesis. And, to address those whose lives don't revolve around this sort of thing, the purpose of that is to bring to bear the tools of disparate branches of mathematics on the problem.

Coincidentally I was just at a number theory seminar yesterday in which the Riemann Hypothesis came up, and sure enough, a statement known to be equivalent to it was an essential ingredient in the talk. But number theory isn't my game. Oddly enough, I've never found the prime numbers all that interesting.
  10. Standard memberStryn
    Blunder Queen
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 19:58

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree