1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 May '15 05:50
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Robots doing all menial labour, and possibly more, leaving us to enjoy existence to the fullest.
    Yes, labour that humans don't want to do, or cannot do.
    But what is the use of a horse automata jumping over hinders? What's the point of that?

Expensive toys for boys?
  2. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 May '15 09:33
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Yes, labour that humans don't want to do, or cannot do.
    But what is the use of a horse automata jumping over hinders? What's the point of that?

Expensive toys for boys?
    What? We can't have fun with it?
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 May '15 09:46
    What? We can't have fun with it?
    Of course! Have fun! No harm in that!

We have fun with a lot of things that has no practical use. (I am a member of RedHotPawn, as one example.) As long we are aware of it.

What is the practical use of mecanical horses jumping over obstacles?
  4. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 May '15 10:29
    Of course! Have fun! No harm in that!

We have fun with a lot of things that has no practical use. (I am a member of RedHotPawn, as one example.) As long we are aware of it.

What is the practical use of mecanical horses jumping over obstacles?
    The interesting thing about this robot is that it can learn dynamic behaviour (identify obstacles and plan ahead to traverse them). This is useful whenever a robot needs to traverse bad terrain.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 May '15 11:28
    The interesting thing about this robot is that it can learn dynamic behaviour (identify obstacles and plan ahead to traverse them). This is useful whenever a robot needs to traverse bad terrain.
    Good answer.

But the question remains: Why? In what circumstanse would you like a robotic horse do that?

(And I know you have a good answer for that. No irony. I just want to learn.)
  6. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 May '15 11:41
    Good answer.

But the question remains: Why? In what circumstanse would you like a robotic horse do that?

(And I know you have a good answer for that. No irony. I just want to learn.)
    For one thing, it would be useful in rescue operations where we don't want to send in humans, but the terrain is too hard for traditional robots to traverse. I'm sure there are plenty of situations where this would be useful. Remember, it's not so much that it can jump over obstacles, but that it can learn to assess new situations and figure out how to deal with them. I see a future with robots that can climb steep mountain walls, navigate through earthquake debree in search of survivors, swim, you name it. A robot that can learn new skills is gonna be a useful robot, however it's used in the end, for fun or not.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 May '15 12:221 edit
    For one thing, it would be useful in rescue operations where we don't want to send in humans, but the terrain is too hard for traditional robots to traverse. I'm sure there are plenty of situations where this would be useful. Remember, it's not so much that it can jump over obstacles, but that it can learn to assess new situations and figure out how to deal w ...[text shortened]... t can learn new skills is gonna be a useful robot, however it's used in the end, for fun or not.
    Yet again good answer, thank you!

What about this kind of answer?
    To let out a mechanical horse in a Martian environment, avoiding all obstacles, explore areas too rough for a wheel vehicle? This together with artificial intelligence can bring forward much more knowldedge than any other device can do. With a flora of instruments, detectors, and tools, it can do a lot of interesting stuff om Mars.

My robotic lawn mower is quite stupid compared to this mechanical horse.

This is not a mower of mine, but it is clipping and fertilazing at the same time, and it is cheap:
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fc/30/2f/fc302fb48f16b9aa82e314bfde11ab1b.jpg
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 May '15 12:38

To let out a mechanical horse in a Martian environment, avoiding all obstacles, explore areas too rough for a wheel vehicle? This together with artificial intelligence can bring forward much more knowldedge than any other device can do. With a flora of instruments, detectors, and tools ...[text shortened]... :
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fc/30/2f/fc302fb48f16b9aa82e314bfde11ab1b.jpg
    I don't even have to look at the image to get itπŸ™‚
  9. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 May '15 13:20

To let out a mechanical horse in a Martian environment, avoiding all obstacles, explore areas too rough for a wheel vehicle? This together with artificial intelligence can bring forward much more knowldedge than any other device can do. With a flora of instruments, detectors, and tools ...[text shortened]... :
    Of course. πŸ™‚
  10. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 May '15 13:22
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I don't even have to look at the image to get itπŸ™‚
    You don't? I thought it would be a goat tethered to a pole or something, but it was even more clever than that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree