Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Do ya think?
    29 Aug '08 02:11
    I'm a new science teacher and I want to investigate this. I even met someone in my 2nd Language Acquisition class who is interested and would like to work with me on it. Here's a link.

    http://www.soinc.org/

    There's also this. I don't know if they're related.

    http://www.lacountyscienceolympiad.org/

    Any advice? I have four classes of 8th grade Physical Science students to work with.
  2. 29 Aug '08 03:15
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I'm a new science teacher and I want to investigate this. I even met someone in my 2nd Language Acquisition class who is interested and would like to work with me on it. Here's a link.

    http://www.soinc.org/

    There's also this. I don't know if they're related.

    http://www.lacountyscienceolympiad.org/

    Any advice? I have four classes of 8th grade Physical Science students to work with.
    I don't know anything about it, but it looks cool!

    You are an awsome teacher it you are willing to dedicate that kind of time and energy to your students!

  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Do ya think?
    29 Aug '08 16:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by mlprior
    I don't know anything about it, but it looks cool!

    You are an awsome teacher it you are willing to dedicate that kind of time and energy to your students!

    I may not be. I may get too lazy. I'm trying not to commit yet.

    I'm an ambitious man, as I told my students (poor things didn't know what 'ambition' meant...they've been fed liberal and ghetto ideas for so long...I'm beginning to wonder if liberalism isn't intended to keep the poor and ignorant down by making them dependent on the taxpayer funded government nipple). I would do this to enhance my reputation and capabilities in the field that has chosen to take me in.
  4. 03 Sep '08 07:59
    this science subject, what does it include? is it chemistry, physics, biology all bundled together? because in my country they are all separate.
  5. 04 Sep '08 04:14
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    this science subject, what does it include? is it chemistry, physics, biology all bundled together? because in my country they are all separate.
    The beginning of the post says 8th grade Physics.


    Is there a lesson plan you have to follow or do you make it up as you go?
    My sister teaches science in middle school and she does a "Grossology Friday" that seems to go over well. I'm not sure how you would fit that into Physics though. She had the kids disect cow eyeballs, eat chicken feet, things like that.
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Do ya think?
    06 Sep '08 15:43 / 1 edit
    8th grade science is introductory physics, chemistry and astronomy. 7th grade is introductory biology. High School students will get dedicated classes for some or all of these, and in college they'll get them again, and if they major in science they'll keep taking such classes.

    The Olympiad events can be looked up at the links I provided.

    There are content standards out there for CA schools. I need to look them up this weekend and get my semester planned out. Too much to do... :'(
  7. 09 Sep '08 23:08
    I've noticed that kids that age actually learn better from activities where they can learn by doing.

    I would suggest that you give classroom activities, but give the students as assignment a report stating their predictions of the outcome of the experiment, based on information available to them.

    In my high school chemistry class we did this, and everyone understood the principles involved in the experiment. I think you can apply this to your students.
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Do ya think?
    10 Sep '08 01:28 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by dannyUchiha
    I've noticed that kids that age actually learn better from activities where they can learn by doing.

    I would suggest that you give classroom activities, but give the students as assignment a report stating their predictions of the outcome of the experiment, based on information available to them.

    In my high school chemistry class we did this, a ...[text shortened]... erstood the principles involved in the experiment. I think you can apply this to your students.
    I just found out that I was given a prepackaged teaching kit for the textbook we're using, including worksheets. I wish I'd known this before . I forgot to bring the disks home, and they still haven't received my laptop.