http://www.boingboing.net/science/
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 20:36
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That's a general link to the science page. I can't find the specific experiment you're referring to, and I'd like to, as I'm a science teacher.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 20:43
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    That's a general link to the science page. I can't find the specific experiment you're referring to, and I'd like to, as I'm a science teacher.
    I seem to have linked the wrong site, try this one:
    http://www.sciencebob.com/experiments/videos/video-foam1.php

It also shows a bunch of other home science stuff. I did a similar thing for our 4th, 5th, and 6th grade class at our local secondary school. Mine was more inventive I think. I got over 100 thank you cards from the kids. I can talk about the stuff if you want, it is easy to dupe, mostly anyway.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Nov '09 23:09
    I seem to have linked the wrong site, try this one:
    http://www.sciencebob.com/experiments/videos/video-foam1.php

It also shows a bunch of other home science stuff. I did a similar thing for our 4th, 5th, and 6th grade class at our local secondary school. Mine was more inventive I think. I got over 100 thank you cards from the kids. I can talk about the stuff if you want, it is easy to dupe, mostly anyway.
    I'll put an entry in my blog for such ideas. Put yours in the comments of the thread ok?

In general I encourage you specifically to look at my blog and offer your comments on the scientific topics which make up the majority of my posts. I would appreciate it; I want traffic moving through there, commenting, helping me refine my ideas, etc.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Nov '09 02:42
    I'll put an entry in my blog for such ideas. Put yours in the comments of the thread ok?

In general I encourage you specifically to look at my blog and offer your comments on the scientific topics which make up the majority of my posts. I would appreciate it; I want traffic moving through there, commenting, helping me refine my ideas, etc.
    What is the URL of your blog?
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Nov '09 05:08
    What is the URL of your blog?
    See my profile.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Nov '09 14:35
    See my profile.
    Well, I must say that is quite a blog site! I didn't know they were that big. Is yours larger than average? I admit I have not delved into such things. I am too busy keeping house and home together in this crappy economy now, lost job and at age 68 not much future left to me, having to figure out what kind of shyte job I can get to keep things going. On the plus side, I am finally getting my ham station together, working on antenna stuff and feedthroughs and rigs, that is nice. I also am recording my second CD so that might do something but it seems it is more like my own personal music blog of not much interest to anyone else but it is my music.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Nov '09 20:52
    Well, I must say that is quite a blog site! I didn't know they were that big. Is yours larger than average? I admit I have not delved into such things. I am too busy keeping house and home together in this crappy economy now, lost job and at age 68 not much future left to me, having to figure out what kind of shyte job I can get to keep things going. On the ...[text shortened]... is more like my own personal music blog of not much interest to anyone else but it is my music.
    They're as big as you want to put stuff into them. Use the archive on the right to go to specific entries.

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. There's a lot of opportunity in science education; you might want to look at that.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Nov '09 23:20
    They're as big as you want to put stuff into them. Use the archive on the right to go to specific entries.

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. There's a lot of opportunity in science education; you might want to look at that.
    Actually, one of my sons is doing just that, he wants to become a biology teacher, he is starting junior year at one of three possible local colleges. One son has an MA in sociology and a daughter has MA in music composition. I did a lot of company schools in a field that gets less and less important in the semi world as time goes on, namely ion implantation. I went to a lot of schools on that device, which imparts conductivity to silicon wafers, pure silicon being a very good insulator. Turns out that the smaller features on present day wafers, now measured in nanometers where 20 years ago were measured in microns, the depth of the implant used to be several microns to make a sea of conductivity that deep but now that devices are approaching 20 nanometers in width, the depth also goes down so not so high a voltage of implant is needed anymore. We used to commonly implant at 200,000 volts which led to an implant depth of a couple of microns, like 2000 nanometers but now that the whole device is more like 30 or 40 nanometers, the depth also scales down leading to implants in the 200 to 500 volt range, meaning a room sized beast with 3000 pound magnets for ion beam steering is now a table top box with normal voltage ions so the giant beast of yesteryear is now a microwave oven sized deal, not needing the specialized knowledge of ultra high voltages and super good vacuum systems and such so the entire field of high voltage ion implantation is down the tubes, meaning a lot less employee's needed so my former company, Varian and associates, sold off the ion implant division and it is now on its own, Extrion in the town of Gloucester, Ma, up the 128 corridor. So I am left sucking wind professionally speaking.
  10. silicon valley
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 17:48
    on the plate today .... AThousandYoung!

Browsing Science
    Maggie Koerth-Baker on December 17, 2009 9:08 AM
    Proof that goats cannot be trusted
    evilgoat.jpg

Professor Eustace P. Toffeynuts III, Ph.D., D.D.T., L.S.D., has produced a very important treatise on the freaky nature of goat eyes, their relationship to the freaky nature of octopus eyes and why both animals are clearly in league with Satan.

Goat Eye Syndrome is characterized by eyes afflicted with horrific horizontal pupils similar to those of cephalopods such as octopi, squid, or cuttlefish. The pupils of these beasts are approximately the shape of a kidney bean, but instead of dividing the eye vertically, in the manner of noble, trustworthy beasts such as tigers, bobcats, and snakes, the GES pupils transfix the eye horizontally. This is disgusting. The only other type of animal to display such disgusting, vomit-inducing eyes are the previously mentioned cephalopods (which have a long association with death from the murky depths and Cthulhu) and Kermit the Frog, who is a felt puppet created by Jim Henson, and should not be considered an example of an accurate representation of frog physiology.

Ignore this research at your own peril.

Professor Eustace P. Toffeynuts III, Ph.D., D.D.T., L.S.D.: Goat Eyes: Satanic ploy, or merely horrific crime against nature? A serial treatise on the unnatural pupils of those beasts of the genus capra (2006)

(Thanks, Ed Yong!)
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 18:20
    You sound like being associated with Cthulhu is something to be avoided.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree