1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 17:20
    @Metal-Brain
    Can you tell me what is special about the last 200 years that climate change, increase temps everywhere including the ocean, is happening and accelerating as we speak? The sun isn't producing any more energy now than 200 years ago so what in your opinion is the driving force at work here?
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 19:25
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Can you tell me what is special about the last 200 years that climate change, increase temps everywhere including the ocean, is happening and accelerating as we speak? The sun isn't producing any more energy now than 200 years ago so what in your opinion is the driving force at work here?
    " The sun isn't producing any more energy now than 200 years ago"

How do you know?
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '19 05:05
    @metal-brain said

How do you know?
    How do you know you're real?
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    19 Feb '19 08:39
    @metal-brain said

How do you know?
    This is not skeptical enquiry. You've convinced yourself there is a conspiracy and every piece of evidence presented to you which might contradict the conspiracy is dismissed using another ad hoc argument. You've no evidence that the sun's output varies enough to explain current atmospheric warming but expect sonhouse to disprove the claim anyway.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Feb '19 13:14
    @deepthought said
    This is not skeptical enquiry. You've convinced yourself there is a conspiracy and every piece of evidence presented to you which might contradict the conspiracy is dismissed using another ad hoc argument. You've no evidence that the sun's output varies enough to explain current atmospheric warming but expect sonhouse to disprove the claim anyway.
    Your assertion is absolutely absurd. The mini ice age was caused by reduced solar activity. To say the opposite cannot happen is ridiculous.
    Also, your assertion that I dismissed his statement as a conspiracy is outright false. You must have been drunk. Sober up before posting nonsense that makes no sense.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    19 Feb '19 13:31
    @metal-brain said
    Your assertion is absolutely absurd. The mini ice age was caused by reduced solar activity. To say the opposite cannot happen is ridiculous.
    Also, your assertion that I dismissed his statement as a conspiracy is outright false. You must have been drunk. Sober up before posting nonsense that makes no sense.
    The assertion was that you could not provide evidence that solar variation explains current warming. I did not assert that the opposite was impossible, just that you cannot show that that explains current warming.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Feb '19 16:32
    @deepthought said
    The assertion was that you could not provide evidence that solar variation explains current warming. I did not assert that the opposite was impossible, just that you cannot show that that explains current warming.
    I NEVER said I had evidence. I pointed out sonhouse had none to back up his claim. There is a difference.

The Mini Ice age was caused by solar variation. That variation must have changed to cause subsequent warming. Common sense.

Just because I asked him how he knows doesn't mean I made an assertion. I was pointing out his lack of evidence, not me having any. DUH!
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Feb '19 16:35
    This thread is about sea level rise. Efforts to digress away from the purpose of this thread are pathetic! Those of you that insist on taking about everything except the subject can go to another thread to sabotage. There is no place for that crap here.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    19 Feb '19 17:56
    @metal-brain said
    I NEVER said I had evidence. I pointed out sonhouse had none to back up his claim. There is a difference.

The Mini Ice age was caused by solar variation. That variation must have changed to cause subsequent warming. Common sense.

Just because I asked him how he knows doesn't mean I made an assertion. I was pointing out his lack of evidence, not me having any. DUH!
    Sonhouse's statement was that solar insolation hasn't changed much in the last 200 years. He didn't provide any evidence, but you haven't provided any to the contrary. Since you made a post you clearly believe something approximating to the converse. As an aside, although sunspot activity has changed over that period, this is not the same as insolation. The Wikipedia page gives a list of possible causes for the Little Ice Age, although it does include solar and other astrophysical forcing, that explanation for the cold period is speculative. So you're relying on a speculative theory to counter sonhouse's point.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Feb '19 19:131 edit
    @Metal-Brain
    This graph of past temperatures refutes your claim temps have been going up for 200 years. Actually going up only in the last ONE HUNDRED years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_record_of_the_past_1000_years#/media/File:2000_Year_Temperature_Comparison.png

And this, showing solar irradiation increased till the 1950's and has gone down some since then so the sun is not causing the present rise in temperature.

https://ourchangingclimate.wordpress.com/2010/04/11/recent-changes-in-the-sun-co2-and-global-average-temperature-little-ice-age-onwards/
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Feb '19 23:52
    @metal-brain said
    This global warming trend has been happening for over 200 years. It is obvious it started by natural causes.

Which greenhouse gasses do you think is causing AGW? What is the percentage of those gasses in the atmosphere?

Show me using the sea level rise graph from NASA. Gossip isn't relevant here.
    1. Mankind is putting tonnes of CO2 into atmosphere.
    2. CO2 is a greenhouse gas.
    3. The Earth is getting warmer. (Partly or wholly because of greenhouse gases)
    4. A warmer Earth causes ice to melt.
    5. Melting ice-caps cause sea-level rise.

Which of those statements do you disagree with?
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '19 16:33
    @deepthought said
    Sonhouse's statement was that solar insolation hasn't changed much in the last 200 years. He didn't provide any evidence, but you haven't provided any to the contrary. Since you made a post you clearly believe something approximating to the converse. As an aside, although sunspot activity has changed over that period, this is not the same as insolation. The Wikipedia ...[text shortened]... cold period is speculative. So you're relying on a speculative theory to counter sonhouse's point.
    Speculative? Explain it with something that is not speculative. I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Irradiance includes many factors. Not sure why you think there is a big distinction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_irradiance
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '19 16:36
    @wolfgang59 said
    1. Mankind is putting tonnes of CO2 into atmosphere.
    2. CO2 is a greenhouse gas.
    3. The Earth is getting warmer. (Partly or wholly because of greenhouse gases)
    4. A warmer Earth causes ice to melt.
    5. Melting ice-caps cause sea-level rise.

Which of those statements do you disagree with?
    None of them.

This warming trend started naturally over 200 years ago after the little ice age. Show me how man has changed that trend with sea level rise.
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '19 16:44
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    This graph of past temperatures refutes your claim temps have been going up for 200 years. Actually going up only in the last ONE HUNDRED years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_record_of_the_past_1000_years#/media/File:2000_Year_Temperature_Comparison.png

And this, showing solar irradiation increased till the 1950's and has gone down some since ...[text shortened]... .com/2010/04/11/recent-changes-in-the-sun-co2-and-global-average-temperature-little-ice-age-onwards/
    That is absurd. Stop relying on wikicrap. You saw the Nasa sea level graph there was sea level rise as far back as the graph goes, about 1880. If there was no warming why did sea levels rise?

"And this, showing solar irradiation increased till the 1950's and has gone down some since then so the sun is not causing the present rise in temperature."

Irradiation and insolation are the same thing. You contradicted your statement that it has not changed. You discredited yourself and deepthought as well unless you are wrong. I'll let you two figure it out.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Feb '19 17:05
    @Metal-Brain
    Like I said, we put up ANY kind of data refuting your claims, you just move the goalpost. Where are your COUNTER claims backed up by scientific study, MODERN studies?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree