1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    15 Jul '15 10:52
    http://phys.org/news/2015-07-seaweed-bacon.html
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    13427
    15 Jul '15 19:17
    Bacon would not taste like bacon without salt. Same thing with cheese.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    15 Jul '15 19:50
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Bacon would not taste like bacon without salt. Same thing with cheese.
    Well, there is this silly possibility....
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    13427
    15 Jul '15 21:13
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well, there is this silly possibility....
    Yeah, but I would want to taste it myself before I believe it. I suspect it would be a lot like a soy burger. When I tasted one it didn't taste anything like beef to me. I have never bought soy burgers again....yuck!
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    6870
    18 Jul '15 12:50
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://phys.org/news/2015-07-seaweed-bacon.html
    No, it doesn't. Vegans convince themselves to believe that it does. Omnivores know better. It's like that soy meat that also tastes "just like real meat". Yeah, if you serve it to your parents they're going to be civiilsed and pretend you didn't just give them a half-tasting chunk of rubber to chew. Next try it in a double blind test...
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    21 Jul '15 18:41
    Where I live we have a kind of mushroom in the woods. It's called "Pig's ears" (translated).
    When you fry it in a pan it gets the taste of bacon. Quite interesting! 🙂
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    22 Jul '15 13:43
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Where I live we have a kind of mushroom in the woods. It's called "Pig's ears" (translated).
    When you fry it in a pan it gets the taste of bacon. Quite interesting! 🙂
    We had something like that in Alaska where I used to live long ago, a huge mushroom the size of a dinner plate, cooked, it tasted a bit like bacon also. I loved those mushrooms! We had a real mushroom steak! And for free! they were all over the place at the base of trees.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    22 Jul '15 14:22
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    We had something like that in Alaska where I used to live long ago, a huge mushroom the size of a dinner plate, cooked, it tasted a bit like bacon also. I loved those mushrooms! We had a real mushroom steak! And for free! they were all over the place at the base of trees.
    "Pig's ears" are small as cat's ears, whitish, grows in clusters on dead tree stumps. When prepared and eaten, they have no visual resemblence as bacon nor meat.

    Can it be the same? What do you call those in Alaska?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    23 Jul '15 10:40
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    "Pig's ears" are small as cat's ears, whitish, grows in clusters on dead tree stumps. When prepared and eaten, they have no visual resemblence as bacon nor meat.

    Can it be the same? What do you call those in Alaska?
    I think they were called 'plate mushrooms' by the locals. Have no idea what the scientific name is. I was 15 ATT.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    23 Jul '15 10:49
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think they were called 'plate mushrooms' by the locals. Have no idea what the scientific name is. I was 15 ATT.
    The taste cells on our tongue and our smell cells in our nose must have a specific molecule indicator for the bacon aroma. This 'bacon tasting/smelling' molecule that the tongue/nose recognize as bacon, is this exactly the same molecule from bacon, the Alaskan plate mushroom, the Swedish 'pig-ear' mushroom and the seeweed? Or can different molecules generate the same bacon sensation?

    I don't know! Does anyone know?
Back to Top