1. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 13:33
    if you stay in space for a long time then your bones will get crushed because they are usally used to gravity pulling them down, but in space they weaken therfore if you came back down onto earth your bones would get crushed.................................................................................but what if you drank lots and lots of milk
  2. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 13:501 edit
    Originally posted by jacko11
    but what if you drank lots and lots of milk
    I'm guessing I'd get belly-ache. 😕
  3. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 13:55
    yeah big belly ache.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 18:09
    if you stay in space for a long time then your bones will get crushed because they are usally used to gravity pulling them down, but in space they weaken therfore if you came back down onto earth your bones would get crushed.................................................................................but what if you drank lots and lots of milk
    If the bone structure doesn't think it needs any calcium, then it rejects the calcium. And in microgravity bone strength is not important.

So what you should do is to tell the bone structure that it need the calcium, you do this by exercise. If the bonestructure thinks it needs the calcium, then it builds up itself with the available calcium.

But I'm not sure it is that simple. It seems that the bone structure is not so easily tricked. You'll still lose bone strength of some reason.

Btw, if you don't like milk, then you can take calcium pills. Next time you are planning to go up in the space, ask your farmacist for advice.
  5. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 00:52
    you have a good point . anyway i dont think im ever going to go into space
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '07
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 19:56
    you have a good point . anyway i dont think im ever going to go into space
    Maybe we could all chip together and send you there.
  7. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 06:041 edit
    Originally posted by Diodorus Siculus
    Maybe we could all chip together and send you there.
    well that is very thoughtful but no thanks. i feel safer with 2 feet on the ground. but i would like to feel what it is like with zero gravity
    maybe i can just become a puppet
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Oct '08 20:50
    well that is very thoughtful but no thanks. i feel safer with 2 feet on the ground. but i would like to feel what it is like with zero gravity
    maybe i can just become a puppet
    So sign up for a trip on the Vomit Comet, lot cheaper than going into space, you get to feel zero gravity for 30 second stretches of time, maybe ten times like that. The latest traveler to do that: Steven Hawking. He was happy as a lark, able to feel free for the first time in a long time, free of the bounds of gravity which holds him chained to a wheelchair.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Oct '08 14:39
    You need resistance for the minerals to deposit on to the bones I think.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Oct '08 18:30
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You need resistance for the minerals to deposit on to the bones I think.
    Actually the problem can be solved by having a centrifugal wheel providing artificial gravity for space travelers, either in space hotels or 6 month sojourns to Mars or ten year trips to Pluto. I imagine for the really long trips you would HAVE to have something like that if you wanted to actually go back into a gravity well, moon or planetary.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree