1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12730
    17 Dec '13 23:46
    News reports that emergency space walks will have to be performed to repair repair space station. Why do we even need space stations? It all seems unnecessarily dangerous and unneeded to me.
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    Planet Rain
    Joined
    04 Mar '04
    Moves
    2441
    17 Dec '13 23:54
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    News reports that emergency space walks will have to be performed to repair repair space station. Why do we even need space stations? It all seems unnecessarily dangerous and unneeded to me.
    It's a nice place to get away from all the Creationists.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    18 Dec '13 01:19
    Because space is next.

    We've been everywhere on Earth, and space is what's next.
  4. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    3763
    18 Dec '13 01:56
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Because space is next.

    We've been everywhere on Earth, and space is what's next.
    I agree that we haven't explored it, but I don't think that explains why we need to. I can't help but feel the resources would be better spent on problems we face on earth at this very moment.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    18 Dec '13 02:14
    Originally posted by dryhump
    I agree that we haven't explored it, but I don't think that explains why we need to. I can't help but feel the resources would be better spent on problems we face on earth at this very moment.
    At this moment there is an asteroid or comet heading towards this planet that
    will wipe our species out of existence.

    The fact that we have not yet found it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it means
    we don't know when it will hit.

    We thus don't know how long we will have to divert it.

    When we find out it might be too late. Unless we build up our space programs now.

    There are any number of other potential catastrophes that could befall our species
    and make us extinct if we are still stuck on this one tiny planet.


    We have limited resources and space on this planet.

    In space there are vast resources and lots of space.


    What we learn about other planets and how they formed teaches us about ours.
    And help us better model our climate and predict [and avoid] future disasters.

    What we learn by putting people in space long term helps with future space exploration and
    with medical programs here on Earth.

    ect ect.

    Spending money on space research IS spending money on problems we face on Earth.
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    Planet Rain
    Joined
    04 Mar '04
    Moves
    2441
    18 Dec '13 02:21
    Originally posted by dryhump
    I agree that we haven't explored it, but I don't think that explains why we need to. I can't help but feel the resources would be better spent on problems we face on earth at this very moment.
    The number of spin-off technologies resulting from space exploration more than pays for the costs.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12730
    18 Dec '13 02:58
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    The number of spin-off technologies resulting from space exploration more than pays for the costs.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies
    Propaganda.
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    18 Dec '13 07:11
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    At this moment there is an asteroid or comet heading towards this planet that
    will wipe our species out of existence.

    The fact that we have not yet found it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it means
    we don't know when it will hit.

    We thus don't know how long we will have to divert it.

    When we find out it might be too late. Unless we build up o ...[text shortened]...

    ect ect.

    Spending money on space research IS spending money on problems we face on Earth.
    But we don't need a space station in particular for that....oh, hang on; right; as Soothfast said, it's a nice place to get away from all the Creationists.
  9. Standard memberSoothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    Planet Rain
    Joined
    04 Mar '04
    Moves
    2441
    18 Dec '13 07:24
    Originally posted by humy
    But we don't need a space station in particular for that....oh, hang on; right; as Soothfast said, it's a nice place to get away from all the Creationists.
    They don't just float around jacking off in zero g in the space station. There are loads of experiments that can only be done properly in a weightless environment. Real important experiments that can have applications in science, industry, technology, medicine, and so on.

    Of course, I'm not surprised that a creationist wouldn't see the point of a space station, or much of anything else. Why make the world a better place if you're convinced the Messiah is coming home a week from Thursday to hand you the heavens wrapped in a bow?
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    18 Dec '13 07:50
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    They don't just float around jacking off in zero g in the space station. There are loads of experiments that can only be done properly in a weightless environment. Real important experiments that can have applications in science, industry, technology, medicine, and so on.

    Of course, I'm not surprised that a creationist wouldn't see the point of a spac ...[text shortened]... vinced the Messiah is coming home a week from Thursday to hand you the heavens wrapped in a bow?
    There are loads of experiments that can only be done properly in a weightless environment. Real important experiments that can have applications in science, industry, technology, medicine, and so on.

    I once saw a documentary that explained in great detail why that is a common misconception -not a single one of those many commonly cited 'important' experiments and discoveries are both important and could not have been done without the space station by other much cheaper means. The space station really is a waste of money and resources whichever way you look at it. The space station isn't there for science at all but rather up there for purely political reasons with politicians, instead of informing the voters of this common misconception, preserving and exploiting it by throwing large amounts of tax-payers money at it to convince they are serious about scientific research and space exploration. In other words, they are just exploiting public ignorance to gain votes.

    However, I would guess the creationists would generally reject the space station for different and completely irrational religious reasons and therefore the wrong reasons.
  11. Standard memberSoothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    Planet Rain
    Joined
    04 Mar '04
    Moves
    2441
    18 Dec '13 08:281 edit
    Originally posted by humy
    There are loads of experiments that can only be done properly in a weightless environment. Real important experiments that can have applications in science, industry, technology, medicine, and so on.

    I once saw a documentary that explained in great detail why that is a common misconception -not a single one of those many commonly cited 'i ...[text shortened]... ation for different and completely irrational religious reasons and therefore the wrong reasons.
    Uh huh. To paraphrase, "Microgravity research is a giant waste that could be done cheaper on Earth." Whatever you say. So, pharmaceutical companies (always concerned about the bottom line and making profits) are paying BIG bucks to have experiments conducted in space just for "politicians" and to "gain votes". Here, just read this random article I found after searching for 20 seconds, maybe you'll learn something:

    http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/science_technology/Space_firms_team_up_for_zero-gravity_research.html?cid=37012994
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    18 Dec '13 10:46
    Originally posted by humy
    But we don't need a space station in particular for that....oh, hang on; right; as Soothfast said, it's a nice place to get away from all the Creationists.
    Where else would you suggest doing research on the long term effects of zero gravity on people?
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    18 Dec '13 11:11
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Propaganda.
    What you really mean deep down is you don't WANT people to advance scientifically. You want people to revert back to the 10th century when it was common to burn people at the stake for daring to suggest christianity was fake.


    That is your ultimate goal.
  14. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    18 Dec '13 16:13
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Where else would you suggest doing research on the long term effects of zero gravity on people?
    Knowing long term effects of zero gravity on people will not be important for a long time assuming the governments aren't stupid enough to waste billions of dollars sending loads of people in space long term when, right now, we need as much money spend on problems here on Earth such as world poverty.
  15. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3081
    18 Dec '13 16:24
    Originally posted by humy
    Knowing long term effects of zero gravity on people will not be important for a long time assuming the governments aren't stupid enough to waste billions of dollars sending loads of people in space long term when, right now, we need as much money spend on problems here on Earth such as world poverty.
    Fortunately, we can easily muster the means to send people to space and solve world poverty at the same time.
Back to Top