1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    06 Dec '20 08:391 edit
    I believe spintronics is the future for most if not all far future micro-electronics for classical computers as spintronics promises to make classical computers not only much faster but THOUSANDS of times more energy efficient.

This is a study that explains and demonstrates how detection of the electron spins for in spintronic circuitry using electric fields rather than magnetic fields is probably the best strategy for future spintronics.
    I believe this research result is a huge breakthrough and perhaps the biggest breakthrough in spintronic research yet and represents a very significant step toward realizing real-world application of spintronics.

https://phys.org/news/2020-12-electrical-filtering-key-ultra-fast-energy-efficient.html
    The link says;
    "Energy-efficient spintronics is dependent on both generation and detection of spin via electrical means.

In strongly spin-orbit coupled semiconductor systems, all-electrical generation of spin has already been successfully demonstrated.

However, detection of spin-to-charge conversion has always required a large range of magnetic fields, thus limiting the speed and practicality.
    ..."

and, for the first time, they demonstrated all-electrical spin-to-charge conversion without the need for a magnetic field.

the link also says;
    "...
    "We showed that non-linear spin-to-charge conversion is fully consistent with the data obtained from linear response measurements and is orders of magnitude faster," ...
    Because the non-linear method does not need a magnetic field nor a long spin diffusion length, it promises new possibilities for fast detection of spin accumulation ...

Finally, the rapidness of non-linear spin-to-charge conversion can enable time-resolved read-out of spin accumulation down to 1 nanosecond resolution.
    ..."
    So it appears they are also saying this could result in much MUCH faster computations in the resulting spintronic micro-circuits; Overall a hugely significant result indeed!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree