1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Jan '13 15:11
    http://phys.org/news/2013-01-yolk-shell-world-record-battery.html

That puts the energy storage up there within shouting distance of gasoline! Everything electronic could benefit, cell phones, laptops, tablets, camera's, besides electric auto's.
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    09 Jan '13 20:151 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse

That puts the energy storage up there within shouting distance of gasoline! Everything electronic could benefit, cell phones, laptops, tablets, camera's, besides electric auto's.
    What it says in the link sounds very promising! It sounds like the specific energy (which the amount of maximum energy stored per unit mass and not to be confused with energy density) of this new battery, if fully developed, would be much higher than that for the the highest specific energies for commercially available lithium batteries today but I find it hard to tease out from the link even a approximation of how much more specific energy we are talking about here.

It says:

“.... The sulfur cathode stored up to five times more energy per sulfur weight than today's commercial materials....” but that is just for the Cathode.

It also says:

“...Cui's group has demonstrated a succession of increasingly capable anodes that use silicon rather than carbon because it can store up to 10 times more charge per weight. ...” but that is just for the anode.

So, I guess, putting these two fragments of info together and assuming that both the sulfur cathode and the silicon anode will be combined into the same battery, we could be talking about overall very roughly ~7 times more specific energy?
  3. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    09 Jan '13 23:57

All sorts of wonderful battery breakthroughs have been made over the past 10 years, but I can't think of a single one that has made it to market. Can you?

Improvements in marketable battery technology are painfully incremental. Gains in the battery life of laptops and such seem to be more due to reduced power consumption than increased power availability.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    10 Jan '13 09:043 edits
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    All sorts of wonderful battery breakthroughs have been made over the past 10 years, but I can't think of a single one that has made it to market. Can you?

Improvements in marketable battery technology are painfully incremental. Gains in the battery life of laptops and such seem to be more due to reduced power consumption than increased power availability.
    That's generally true I think.

But what about gains in electric cars? -Here a much higher specific energy battery could make a big difference because the main limiting factor for gains in electric cars are, even with the best current lithium batteries, not so much a high power consumption, which is usually attempted to be designed to be no higher than absolutely necessary, but rather more to do with their relatively pathetically small specific energy of their energy storage which means they typically have to be recharged roughly about ~100 times more often than a petrol car needs to be refueled (and, worse, it can take ages to recharge the battery each time although that does not necessarily correspond to the specific energy).
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Jan '13 12:31
    Originally posted by humy
    That's generally true I think.

But what about gains in electric cars? -Here a much higher specific energy battery could make a big difference because the main limiting factor for gains in electric cars are, even with the best current lithium batteries, not so much a high power consumption, which is usually attempted to be designed to be no higher than absolu ...[text shortened]... ge the battery each time although that does not necessarily correspond to the specific energy).
    They did say they got 1000 charge-discharge cycles with a loss of less than 30% so that is just what is needed for auto's.
  6. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 04:02
    They did say they got 1000 charge-discharge cycles with a loss of less than 30% so that is just what is needed for auto's.
    I say just develop your bagdad battery further. You will be able to power a car that makes the tesla roadster look wimpy with it.
  7. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 23:08

I want one for my golf trolley, I'll buy a skate board and never have to hire a buggy again!!!!
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 01:14
    Originally posted by OdBod
    I want one for my golf trolley, I'll buy a skate board and never have to hire a buggy again!!!!
    Yes, skateboards are SUCH a joy in the rain....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree