1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 08:13
    Originally posted by whodey
    Ok then, for all you God phobic people out there we will begin calling it the "whodey" particle. As for all you whodey phobic people out there.....well....tough luck!! 😠
    Why call it anything religious at all? What about the Allah particle, Buddha particle, or why not Satan particle? Or are we Allah-phobic, Buddha-phobic, or just a little bit satan-phobic, are we?

The whodey particle perhaps is a good name, as is the Fabian particle, but I think the Higgs particle is the best name, and is also used, because he, Peter Higgs born 1929, mentionned the hypothetical particle as early as 1964 and fits nicely into the standard model.

So why religion at all, concerning this elusive particle?
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 08:25
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

So why religion at all, concerning this elusive particle?
    Because 'the Higgs boson' doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

You know how the media operates, don't you? Perhaps you should write a strongly worded letter to the editor of every publication that uses the offensive term 'God particle'.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 12:44
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

The whodey particle perhaps is a good name, as is the Fabian particle, but I think the Higgs particle is the best name, and is also used, because he, Peter Higgs born 1929, mentionned the hypothetical particle as early as 1964 and fits nicely into the standard model.
    Nope, its the whodey particle or noth'in at all. 😠
  4. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 12:48
    Stephen Hakkins has bet 100 dollars that a mega-experiment this week will not find an elusive particle seen as a holy grail of cosmic science.

In the most complex scientific experiment ever undertaken, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) will be switched on Wednesday, accelerating sub-atomic particles to nearly the speed of light before smashing them together. ...[text shortened]... and has made in the past? In fact, I bet he doesn't even tip at restaurants and such.
    He will win the bet because because the first collisions are not planned until about a year from now.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 13:39
    Well now I have heard it all:
    It seems a teenage girl in India has committed suicide because she feared the collider would cause a black hole that swallows the world:
    http://www.physorg.com/news140327173.html
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 17:46
    Nope, its the whodey particle or noth'in at all. 😠
    Alright then, 'the woodey particle'... Better than 'the god particle' after all...
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 23:431 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well now I have heard it all:
    It seems a teenage girl in India has committed suicide because she feared the collider would cause a black hole that swallows the world:
    http://www.physorg.com/news140327173.html
    She wasn't burned to death was she? You know those brides in India often have mysterious accidents in the kitchen and are burned alive and then someone collects their dowry. I saw a documentary about it the other night and it seems that there are thousands of such "accidents" in the kitchen every year in India.....but I digress.
  8. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 12:23
    It seems this whole "end of the world" with the coming of the antichrist, most commonly known as the LHC is starting to get out just a little out of control.

The people spreading this nonsense about te LHC should just shut their mouths, because most of them don't even know what they're talking about. I read in the news that some people have actually suggested the appearance of a magnetic monopole!!!!
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 13:48
    Originally posted by dannyUchiha
    It seems this whole "end of the world" with the coming of the antichrist, most commonly known as the LHC is starting to get out just a little out of control.

The people spreading this nonsense about te LHC should just shut their mouths, because most of them don't even know what they're talking about. I read in the news that some people have actually suggested the appearance of a magnetic monopole!!!!
    The three concerns about the LHC is creation of (1) black holes that will eventually consume the Earth, (2) strange matter that can turn every other matter into strangelets, and (3) monopoles that will make protons unstable.

CERN are taking this concerns very seriously, written lots of educational documents about this. And I think this is good. They have to rethink about their strategy about how to handle the public.

Science is not always safe.
    In virus research, when handling lethal virus, scientists has proposed experiments that are very dangerous for the humanity if they (the viruses, not the scientists) are let out in the free.
    We know incidents in nuclear activities, radioactivity let out to the public.
    ...and in other areas.

But the activities in CERN are not hidden out of the public. They are very open about it. It's not a military facility. I think they are acting responsibly.

So, continue, CERN, go find some Higgs particles!
  10. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 23:31
    You're right, anyone that has an actual concern about this problem should try and read more, get to know the facts and separate themselves from fiction freaks that think that just because something ocurred in a sci-fi movie, it's going to happen here.

I'm glad that science has advanced the way it did, and I'm completely against ignorant people trying to push down the few that actually worry about the good of mankind.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '08 04:24
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    [b]. How bout the BS that went on, law suites even, about how the collider was going to destroy the earth by making a black hole that eats up the planet?
    I thought I had witnessed this today but soon realized it was just USC beating up on my Buckeyes. :'(
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 03:47
    Update everyone. The whole project is put on hold due to a faulty transformer. I hate it when that happens. 😠
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '07
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 22:00
    Higgs boson sounds like some kind of medieval mariner,

Actually the reason I came on this thread was to tell everyone it was busted. but seems I was beaten to it. 🙂

Not that I'm glad it was busted.

I thought Hawkins bet on it creating a miniature black hole though? Mind you... if it did he'd never have to pay out.... He really is a clever bloke!
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 11:12
    Can anyone clear this up for me.
    I keep seeing news articles about the LHC making two contradictory claims.
    1. The reactions created by the LHC will be the first time such conditions have existed since the Big Bang.
    2. The experiment is perfectly safe because particles of equivalent energy strike the earths atmosphere quite regularly.
    Which is it?
  15. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 17:52
    Originally posted by PBE6
    I wonder how long it will take for any discoveries/non-discoveries to be reported? After a quick Google search, the most concrete thing I've found is that they turned on the LHC and it didn't blow up.
    Well, it didn't blow up but it did melt. It's outta commision for 2 months for repairs.

A conspiracy guy might suggest this was done intentionally to save us all from the Armeggedon this thing is suggested to potentially create.

Thank you Jebus!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree