Thinking about our digital pals, smartphones, etc.

Thinking about our digital pals, smartphones, etc.

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
06 Dec 13

It seems to me there is this progression of digital technology, first with the primitive mainframes of the 1940's where punched cards were a thing of the future🙂 to our little buddies, smart phones, mini mp3 and flash card players, etc., the progression is to smaller and smaller devices.

It seems to me we are in the middle of a revolution in these devices and what I see as the ultimate goal is the melding of these devices into our bodies as another sense organ where all this stuff now with texting while driving kind of controversy will give way to internal texting, thinking words which are translated to words shown you internally on your visual cortex or audible words driven into your hearing organs or directly into your hearing nerves, whatever they are called, directly in your brain.

This could progress to entire body immersion into other worlds where you are basically translated to other places, meeting people in cyberspace but inside your mind for instance. Where you would be walking through Central Park for instance, just looking at the birds on the sidewalk while internally you are having a conference call about some business matter where you are projected to be inside some room somewhere drinking coffee and interacting with ten other people.

I see this progression as a drive to technological telepathy and when it becomes internalized like I think it will in whatever, 50 years, 100 years, it might even be turned into a real biological organ that adds its own DNA to yours and your children will have the same organs inside their heads or somewhere else in their bodies but connected intimately with our nervous system.

This would result in people living two different lives, one external where you have to really eat, pee, poop, sleep, exercise, and so forth vs an internal life where you exist in a digital cloud, another world entirely.

Would this be a good thing or what?

I think of this kind of development as inevitable. What do you think?

Cape Town

Moves
06 Dec 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
This would result in people living two different lives, one external where you have to really eat, pee, poop, sleep, exercise, and so forth vs an internal life where you exist in a digital cloud, another world entirely.
This is already the case. In fact one could argue that people who read books have a third life (fantasy world). I think we could also seperate computer gaming from computer socializing.
I think I should also point out that many people prefer text communication to voice communication because it feels more private and gives you more time to think.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
06 Dec 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
This is already the case. In fact one could argue that people who read books have a third life (fantasy world). I think we could also seperate computer gaming from computer socializing.
I think I should also point out that many people prefer text communication to voice communication because it feels more private and gives you more time to think.
Of course reading on paper gives you a fantasy world but that is not what I am referring to. I am talking about a near total immersion of other touches, sights, audio and so forth, building up what you might consider an internal movie set where you are really inside some kind of fantasy world but far more real than any movie because all the senses could be activated simultaneously where you think you are feeling, seeing, hearing, smelling and so forth this artificial world.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
08 Dec 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
It seems to me there is this progression of digital technology, first with the primitive mainframes of the 1940's where punched cards were a thing of the future🙂 to our little buddies, smart phones, mini mp3 and flash card players, etc., the progression is to smaller and smaller devices.

It seems to me we are in the middle of a revolution in these devi ...[text shortened]... a good thing or what?

I think of this kind of development as inevitable. What do you think?
I think the virtual reality games world is going to explode in the next 5
years. And after that its just a short jump to elective surgery and implants.

Was reading the other day about chimps with implants that can move a
cursor on a screen just by thinking it. I'll try and find it later.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Dec 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
I think the virtual reality games world is going to explode in the next 5
years. And after that its just a short jump to elective surgery and implants.

Was reading the other day about chimps with implants that can move a
cursor on a screen just by thinking it. I'll try and find it later.
I think they have gone way past that, now the chimps can control a robot arm with those implants.