1. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 23:32
    Scientists say they are a step closer to developing materials that could render people and objects invisible.

Researchers have demonstrated for the first time they were able to cloak three-dimensional objects using artificially engineered materials that redirect light around the objects.

I can't think of a legit use in my personal life for this right now, but it would be so cool to have a cloak that would let me be invisible.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2008/08/10/6407801-ap.html
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 04:29
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Scientists say they are a step closer to developing materials that could render people and objects invisible.

Researchers have demonstrated for the first time they were able to cloak three-dimensional objects using artificially engineered materials that redirect light around the objects.

I can't think of a legit use in my personal life for t ...[text shortened]... hat would let me be invisible.

Where did they do this research again?

Huh? Didn't hear you?

Oh yeah.

UC BERKELEY. California FTW!
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 08:51
    Being invisible is not a new thing.

When my father ask me to mow the lawn, he cannot find me, I'm invisible.
    When I sense the my boss want me for something, he cannot find me, I'm invisible.
    When my girlfriend want me with her for her shopping excursion in the ladies departement, she cannot find me, I'm invisible.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 10:20
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn

I can't think of a legit use in my personal life for t ...[text shortened]... hat would let me be invisible.

how would you find your cloak if it is invisible?

i lose things right now. i don't dare to imagine what it would be like when stuff gets invisible.

do you know of an application of this technology other than military?
  5. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 12:36
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    how would you find your cloak if it is invisible?

i lose things right now. i don't dare to imagine what it would be like when stuff gets invisible.

do you know of an application of this technology other than military?
    Electromagnetic waves are very important ... i am sure you do not dispute that .... this opens up a new way in which we can play with electromagnetic waves .. to interact with an important component of the world we live in.

or in a more boring quote from the article: "could help form the basis for higher resolution optical imaging, nanocircuits for high-powered computers, "
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 08:37
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Being invisible is not a new thing.

When my father ask me to mow the lawn, he cannot find me, I'm invisible.
    When I sense the my boss want me for something, he cannot find me, I'm invisible.
    When my girlfriend want me with her for her shopping excursion in the ladies departement, she cannot find me, I'm invisible.
    But when you go out with another girl with her special brand of perfume not the same as your girlfriend, you are busted invisible or not🙂
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 08:431 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    But when you go out with another girl with her special brand of perfume not the same as your girlfriend, you are busted invisible or not🙂
    In this case, smell-less would be better than invisible. 😞
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 03:30
    One thing about invisiblity cloaks, if they can't see you, you can't see them and you would be completely blind, since by definition, the light is guided around you and out the other side, none of said light would reach your eyes. That means in turn, a weakness has to exist in such a system, namely, a hole would have to be made for either your eyes or somewhere else a hole made for some kind of camera which means you would have to have some kind of powered video electronic system on your body which would emit SOME radiation and therefore to be detectable. So even a perfect system would not be perfect.
  9. The sky
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 07:58
    In this case, smell-less would be better than invisible. 😞
    An insmellability cloak! Now that would be great! Every smoker or perfume-wearer should be required to wear it, at least in public.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 08:11
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    An insmellability cloak! Now that would be great! Every smoker or perfume-wearer should be required to wear it, at least in public.
    Not to mention that farters with a cloak is welcomed to my house! 🙂
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 03:48
    Not to mention that farters with a cloak is welcomed to my house! 🙂
    Maybe someone should invent a filtered butt plug🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree