Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    19 May '14 11:23
    http://phys.org/news/2014-05-scientists-year-quest.html

    They see the way to do it experimentally now, 80 years after it was predicted by Wheeler and his bunch back in 1934. Not done as of yet but they think it possible with present day tools.
  2. Standard member redbarons
    BADGER BANNED
    19 May '14 14:21
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://phys.org/news/2014-05-scientists-year-quest.html

    They see the way to do it experimentally now, 80 years after it was predicted by Wheeler and his bunch back in 1934. Not done as of yet but they think it possible with present day tools.
    just read about it in the Mail its fantastic.
  3. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    19 May '14 20:51
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://phys.org/news/2014-05-scientists-year-quest.html

    They see the way to do it experimentally now, 80 years after it was predicted by Wheeler and his bunch back in 1934. Not done as of yet but they think it possible with present day tools.
    I'll believe it when I see it.
  4. 19 May '14 22:00
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    Well the experiment involves firing gamma rays into a cavity filled with x-rays
    to create a high energy pair of leptons, which will emit x-rays or gamma rays
    when they hit anything...

    So you wouldn't SEE anything, but you could get fatally irradiated by the
    experiment.
  5. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    19 May '14 22:28
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Well the experiment involves firing gamma rays into a cavity filled with x-rays
    to create a high energy pair of leptons, which will emit x-rays or gamma rays
    when they hit anything...

    So you wouldn't SEE anything, but you could get fatally irradiated by the
    experiment.
    And that would be a good thing
  6. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    20 May '14 00:06
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Well the experiment involves firing gamma rays into a cavity filled with x-rays
    to create a high energy pair of leptons, which will emit x-rays or gamma rays
    when they hit anything...

    So you wouldn't SEE anything, but you could get fatally irradiated by the
    experiment.
    "Scientists get beigger and bigger reputations the more they talk about things you can't check on."

    - Will Rogers
  7. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    20 May '14 08:22
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    [b]"Scientists get beigger and bigger reputations the more they talk about things you can't check on."

    - Will Rogers[/b]
    Goodbye troll.