1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    31 Jul '08 14:453 edits
    Originally posted by MattP
    But I have no idea about the actual efficiencies of energy storage methods.
    The losses are quite large, this is the problem. The most efficient one is pumping water upstream and that still loses about 1/4 of the energy you're trying to store.

(also, see my previous post at the end of the other page)
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Jul '08 18:29
    Originally posted by MattP
    That is true, but with correct planning the effects of unpredictable and unadjustable power supplies (eg. Wind, where you dont know if it will be windy or not, etc) can be reduced.

The energy can be stored somehow (in a chemical battery, or by pumping water uphill or some other method). This means that the actual production does not need to match the consu ...[text shortened]... total amount needed. But I have no idea about the actual efficiencies of energy storage methods.
    I hope everyone understand that I'm not against "capacity cars". Not at all. I see forward to progress in this area. And in area of electrical cars in general.

My point is that many perople think that all problems are solved if we use electrical cars everyone of us. No, some other problem arises.

Even if electricity is clean, the production of electricity does not have to be. Even if I can charge my car from my outlet, if everyone does it there is a big problem.

So good luck with the research!
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Aug '08 19:46
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I hope everyone understand that I'm not against "capacity cars". Not at all. I see forward to progress in this area. And in area of electrical cars in general.

My point is that many perople think that all problems are solved if we use electrical cars everyone of us. No, some other problem arises.

Even if electricity is clean, the production of elect ...[text shortened]... rom my outlet, if everyone does it there is a big problem.

So good luck with the research!
    One big point for ultracapacitors, if your electric has regenerative braking, ultracaps accept and give out energy at least ten times faster than batteries and that is a big advantage when feeding energy back when you brake. A regular battery will accept only so much energy per unit time and due to the short time frame of braking, only a few seconds or so, most of the energy would be lost trying to recharge a normal battery, even the newest Lithium Ion ones. The ultracap can accept the sudden influx of energy from the braking system and so can reuse more of the energy making the total energy efficiency a bit better than one just based on batteries.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree