1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 18:16
    Originally posted by humy
    Well it sounds to me like the shape has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that you are using enzymes, so it is not the enzymes doing the shaping.

not on the macroscopic scale, yes. But the enzymes would shape it on a molecular and nano scale.

[quote] Give an example of a high energy use process that you think enzymes would rep ...[text shortened]... putting them in a kiln and just think of the huge amount of energy that goes into heating it!!!
    The only thing I see about making bricks from bone is there would be much more need of bricks than could ever be made by any bone product. There are only so many tons of cows or chickens. For bricks you would need literally millions of tons of the stuff to pave the world like we do now.

Sounds to me like it would forever be a niche market, good in places like Argentina where beef growing is a REALLY big deal.
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 19:097 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The only thing I see about making bricks from bone is there would be much more need of bricks than could ever be made by any bone product. There are only so many tons of cows or chickens. For bricks you would need literally millions of tons of the stuff to pave the world like we do now.

Sounds to me like it would forever be a niche market, good in places like Argentina where beef growing is a REALLY big deal.
    There are only so many tons of cows or chickens.

I think you have somehow completely misunderstood what I said; I am NOT proposing to make bricks out of bones from animals!!!
    I predict that, in the far future, bone, or at least a material similar to bone, would be grown in factories using enzymes at room temperature and pressure and into the required shape for the given desired product but WITHOUT any animals being involved!
    Some may be grown in the shape of bricks to make bricks but only if bricks will be still be used in the far future! -I am not sure if they would be still used then. Whole prefab walls might be used instead with no 'bricks' in them? -I think that would be a very strong possibility and probably more likely I think because it would save having to use an awful lot of mortar!
    Or maybe even whole houses would be grown in one piece (on the site where they are to be located else I think transporting them would be problematic! ) this way with no assembly required!? Which ever one of these three possibilities pans out, it will certainly not be a 'niche market' because most products, including most buildings, would be made this way simply because it would be by far the most efficient way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree