1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 07:22
    Since this is the thread about Oumuamua there is also a new contribution offering a different take:

https://phys.org/news/2021-03-scientists-extra-solar-oumuamua.html
  2. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 15:46
    @ponderable said
    Since this is the thread about Oumuamua there is also a new contribution offering a different take:

https://phys.org/news/2021-03-scientists-extra-solar-oumuamua.html
    Why keep assuming and speculating, when we could go after it, catch up to it, photograph and analyze it, and beam back the findings.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 16:03
    @bunnyknight said
    Why keep assuming and speculating, when we could go after it, catch up to it, photograph and analyze it, and beam back the findings.
    In fact I think we can't go after it an fetch it. It is too far away now. There would have been a (slim) chance if we had begun the race at the time of discovery. But then nobody had speculated that it could be an alien spaceship. Without that speculation nobody would be much interested.

Oumuamua is traveling in direction of Pegasus at about 26 km/s. The fastest man-made object is voyager with about 16.6 km/s.
  4. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    19 Mar '21 04:16
    @ponderable said
    In fact I think we can't go after it an fetch it. It is too far away now. There would have been a (slim) chance if we had begun the race at the time of discovery. But then nobody had speculated that it could be an alien spaceship. Without that speculation nobody would be much interested.

Oumuamua is traveling in direction of Pegasus at about 26 km/s. The fastest man-made object is voyager with about 16.6 km/s.
    Last month I read that according to some astronomers it's very possible to catch up to it with today's rocket technology.
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    21 Mar '21 04:19
    @bunnyknight said
    @humy
    So all those martian probes searching for alien life must be moronic, huh? Perhaps they should call them Moronic Rovers on Moronic Missions. But maybe I'm wrong and you know for a fact that alien life doesn't exist because you've hopped into your super-quantum-warp spaceship and already explored all 780 Billion planets in the galaxy and found nothing there.
    There’s a massive difference in accepting that stastically there is a large chance that aliens exist... and in believing they’re making crop circles in Alabama.
  6. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    21 Mar '21 05:03
    @shavixmir said
    There’s a massive difference in accepting that stastically there is a large chance that aliens exist... and in believing they’re making crop circles in Alabama.
    Actually the whole concept of belief is silly. You can believe in anything your mind desires, but whatever it is, it's either reality or not. And to believe something is not real can be as foolish as believing something is real. Unless you know for sure, it's all silly speculation and useless mind games.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree