video about steam engines for propelling satellites!

video about steam engines for propelling satellites!

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h

Moves
21 Jan 21

Sounds like a crazy idea but if you listen to this video you will find it actually makes sense and is practical and it could be very useful!

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
21 Jan 21

@humy said
Sounds like a crazy idea but if you listen to this video you will find it actually makes sense and is practical and it could be very useful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-d_TASwwOQ
Really cool idea.

Just a few points:

* I am actually not a fan of those micro satellites. The Junk in Space, which is mentioned is one reason.
* using the described technique might be quite expensive. For a proof of concept we would "just" need a temperature measurement to start and stop the water/steam flow.
* Of course it would be advisable to have some kind of control about the acceleration direction. And here we come to the dark side. A "mirco sattellite" with about 5 kg accelerated to about 1000 m/s could easily act as a weapon...

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21 Jan 21
1 edit

@Ponderable
Well now that the cat is out there is no going back micro's are here to stay for good or bad.
For stream propulsion, you would still need a source of heat to get the water past 100C, and of course the higher the temp the more thrust so there would be a limit on how much energy you could stick into such a device but the thing is small enough not to need more than a few milli-newtons to move around in space.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
21 Jan 21

@sonhouse said
@Ponderable
Well now that the cat is out there is no going back micro's are here to stay for good or bad.
You are right on this one...but I would rather have regulations to keep them in low orbits, so that at least the junk problem is in bounds.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21 Jan 21
1 edit

@Ponderable
I think for now that is all they are planning. Of course that will no doubt change.
One thing I see, a fleet of such sats a million miles from Earth and each one with a small RF dish and a fleet of hundreds of them spread out over a million miles of space which would make for a super radio astronomy net with a thousand times the resolution of Earth bound antennae. Each one with a blow up RF dish say 10 meters in diameter times several hundred spread out and combining their signals to make for a dish with an effective radius of a million Kilometers or so.