1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 07:21
    @eladar said
    Tell me, what is enough after going through 3 months of making zero vitamin d.

How much is enough?

How much exactly are we making?
    You posted an article that claimed 10 minutes in the sun was enough all day if it is from relatively direct sunlight. Your own articles contradict you. You are out on a limb making the claims you are making. It is your burden of proof to meet those weak claims, not mine. It is April. We get enough sun and you have not shown a lag time except with supplements which is irrelevant. I'm not talking about supplements as you well know.

You attempted to move the goal post in a deceptive way. You are on the ropes already. Be honest about your position. It is very weak.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 07:25
    @metal-brain said
    You posted an article that claimed 10 minutes in the sun was enough all day if it is from relatively direct sunlight. Your own articles contradict you. You are out on a limb making the claims you are making. It is your burden of proof to meet those weak claims, not mine. It is April. We get enough sun and you have not shown a lag time except with supplements which is irre ...[text shortened]... st in a deceptive way. You are on the ropes already. Be honest about your position. It is very weak.
    Lol, you do not know. You pay no attention to details.

You have no desire to learn.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 20:572 edits
    This may help

https://www.gbhealthwatch.com/Did-you-know-Get-VitD-Sun-Exposure.php

My guess is that they are using the prevent rickets definition of sufficient. UV rating is a good way to quantify the amount of UVB you are getting.

https://www.epa.gov/sunsafety/sun-safety-monthly-average-uv-index#tab-11

To get good UVB, looks like you need red, purple and orange. UV index of at least 5 or 6.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 22:00
    In the 1940s, the recommended intake of vitamin D for infants was 100 IU/dto prevent rickets (14). However, the current accepted recommendation toprevent rickets is a daily 400 IU dose of vitamin D and adequate calcium intake (32–35, 79).Aug 1, 2006

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1523417/%23__sec8title&ved=2ahUKEwjQpuWV8ePoAhVGOq0KHSA5DrwQFjADegQIDhAG&usg=AOvVaw2OHDp2ZWbn5zjx3zLIjPs-
  5. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    16 Apr '20 02:36
    @eladar said

A  simple test is to look at your shadow. If its the same height or shorter than you, you’re getting enough sun to make vitamin D. 
    Is this wisdom received from the Turd Farmer's Almanac?
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '20 02:381 edit
    @soothfast said
    Is this wisdom received from the Turd Farmer's Almanac?
    No, the University of Oregon.

It has to do with the fact that UVB does not make it to the surface unless the sun is around 50 degrees above the horizon.

I suppose similar triangles are a bit beyond your kin.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '20 13:27
    @eladar said
    No, the University of Oregon.

It has to do with the fact that UVB does not make it to the surface unless the sun is around 50 degrees above the horizon.

I suppose similar triangles are a bit beyond your kin.
    Then there should be a lower rate of sickness from viruses the closer to the equator people live. Can you prove that?
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    18 Apr '20 14:371 edit
    @metal-brain said
    Then there should be a lower rate of sickness from viruses the closer to the equator people live.
    What? even if a greater proportion of the population closer to the equator happen to live in poverty and thus find prevention measures harder because less access to clean water and cleaning facilities and have less access to protection such as face masks and they find social distancing harder because they cannot afford food delivery directly to their homes nor afford to stock up supplies and have less access to medical cure etc?
    Is somebody here claiming vit-D levels is the ONLY factor effecting who gets infected and who dies of the virus?
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '20 14:46
    @metal-brain said
    Then there should be a lower rate of sickness from viruses the closer to the equator people live. Can you prove that?
    Look at the number of deaths in that region.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '20 07:11
    @eladar said
    Look at the number of deaths in that region.
    You look at the number of deaths in that region.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '20 15:15
    @metal-brain said
    You look at the number of deaths in that region.
    Nothing compared to the US, Belgium and the like, especially among the dark skinned population.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 May '20 20:26
    @Eladar
    You really know nothing of exponential curves or the variants. It is early yet. the deaths in Africa will mount to frightening levels, for instance, you know NOTHING about daily life there, where they DON'T have access to clean water so how do they wash their hands, or they live in ghetto's crammed together, like Nursing homes or prisons here in the US.

How do you suppose THEY can maintain social distancing?

Like I have said several times, you are dangerously naïve.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 May '20 20:35
    @sonhouse said
    @Eladar
    You really know nothing of exponential curves or the variants. It is early yet. the deaths in Africa will mount to frightening levels, for instance, you know NOTHING about daily life there, where they DON'T have access to clean water so how do they wash their hands, or they live in ghetto's crammed together, like Nursing homes or prisons here in the US.

How do yo ...[text shortened]... e THEY can maintain social distancing?

Like I have said several times, you are dangerously naïve.
    I am talking about in the US and regions in similar latitudes.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 May '20 16:39
    @Eladar
    Sure, that is your MO, ignore facts on the ground. What do you think will be the death rate from C19 when there is no fresh water to wash with or it is so hot you HAVE to stay indoors to keep from DYING?
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 May '20 16:58
    @sonhouse said
    @Eladar
    Sure, that is your MO, ignore facts on the ground. What do you think will be the death rate from C19 when there is no fresh water to wash with or it is so hot you HAVE to stay indoors to keep from DYING?
    So you are saying nobody survived summer before air conditioning.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree