1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 10:09
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    If you're still pondering whether to out yourself or not in this thread take a look at this:

http://www.clzx.cqjtu.edu.cn/upload/2007_07/07070410437807.pdf

If this is too much for you don't out yourself.
    That looks interesting - I'm gonna work though it at my own pace. I may get back to you in a 'short' while... year or so...
  2. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 11:46
    Like I said there still is one or two slots open at this moment and my advice is if you really like this topic to take a shot.

Even if you aren't part of the team I think that by reading and actively participating in the discussion we all will gain something, thus just feel free to stop by at our joint and give us a few pieces of your mind: http://thequantumgang.wordpress.com/

For the members of the team:

1 - Later on (8 hours or so) I'll write a post on LateX and how it can be used in wordpress.com and I will also write a few introductory thoughts on Quantum Mechanics.

2 - You are free to post whatever you like, even though it is greatly appreciated if it is related to Quantum Mechanics and/or Griffiths book.

3 - Please send me a text about yourselves and why you joined this team so that I can add it to our blog. I know this may sound a little tacky, and perhaps it is a little tacky, but this is how it is usually done in this kind of enterprise.

4 - Please try to keep the philosophical/metaphysical discussions till you have a working understanding of Quantum Mechanics. If you can't really help yourself and post something metaphilosophical ahead of time please don't expect any answer from me, but of course any other member of the team is free to discuss such things whenever he/she likes.

Our syllabus will be the Griffiths book I've linked to in the previous page and you should download it.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 12:04
    3 - Please send me a text about yourselves and why you joined this team so that I can add it to our blog. I know this may sound a little tacky, and perhaps it is a little tacky, but this is how it is usually done in this kind of enterprise.
    I'd prefer to leave the personal out, if you don't mind. I can say something about why I joined the team, though. Is that enough?
  4. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 12:11
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I'd prefer to leave the personal out, if you don't mind. I can say something about why I joined the team, though. Is that enough?
    More than good enough for me.

Later on I'll post your description on the blog, and if you notice it already has an about page and my description (since they aren't very visible I might change the blog theme also) and my description also leaves personal stuff out of it.
  5. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 12:13
    Like I said there still is one or two slots open at this moment and my advice is if you really like this topic to take a shot.

Even if you aren't part of the team I think that by reading and actively participating in the discussion we all will gain something, thus just feel free to stop by at our joint and give us a few pieces of your mind: http://t ...[text shortened]... will be the Griffiths book I've linked to in the previous page and you should download it.
    Bookmarked, ty. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys can come up with.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 12:23
    More than good enough for me.

Later on I'll post your description on the blog, and if you notice it already has an about page and my description (since they aren't very visible I might change the blog theme also) and my description also leaves personal stuff out of it.
    Sent. Did you send emails for us to register as part of the Gang? Or how do we do it?
  7. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 20:20
    Sent. Did you send emails for us to register as part of the Gang? Or how do we do it?
    I think that at this time you guys have already received the invitation of wordpress.com. Just check the email that you PM'd me and if you still haven't got the invitation I'll try to figure out what's wrong.
  8. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 07:44
    If you're still pondering whether to out yourself or not in this thread take a look at this:

http://www.clzx.cqjtu.edu.cn/upload/2007_07/07070410437807.pdf

If this is too much for you don't out yourself.
    That book looks very accessible.

David Griffiths always seems to write nice books. Back when I was a physics student in the Nineties I took two semester-long courses that used his Introduction to Electrodynamics. I tend to have problems with the way physics books handle more advanced mathematics (for instance I can't stand the frequent reliance on what they call "differentials" like dx), but Griffiths seems to avoid the pitfalls.
  9. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 10:27
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    That book looks very accessible.

David Griffiths always seems to write nice books. Back when I was a physics student in the Nineties I took two semester-long courses that used his Introduction to Electrodynamics. I tend to have problems with the way physics books handle more advanced mathematics (for instance I can't stand the frequent reliance ...[text shortened]... on what they call "differentials" like dx), but Griffiths seems to avoid the pitfalls.
    Griffiths should write a book on Classical Dynamics and another one on Thermodynamics/Statistical Mechanics. He has a knack on getting the right points across in a way that any decent Physics undergrad should understand.

What's wrong with dx?😠😠😠😠 Robinson gave them respectability a long time ago my dear friend. 😛

By the way, PM an email of yours so that you can join the hippest group blogging team on wordpress.com: The Quantum Gang.
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 10:41
    Just out your name on this thread and tell me if your comfortable with the following topics:

LateX
    Integral Calculus
    Differential Calculus
    Linear Algebra
    Probabilities and Statistics
    Ordinary differential equations
    actual hard work

I might have something for interested interesting posters.
    I'm not so great with stats but cool on the rest.
  11. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 10:50
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I'm not so great with stats but cool on the rest.
    You're in. Send me a PM with your email, your presentation text, and I will get back to you.
  12. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 10:57
    The Quantum Gang is complete for the moment.

Anyone interested in this project can go to the blog and comment (the comment policy will be very lax - minimal editing and censoring), but like I said for all the people involved actual hard work will be needed.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 11:22
    As for the recent announcement, I would prefer to start with Griffiths book straight away...
  14. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 11:29
    As for the recent announcement, I would prefer to start with Griffiths book straight away...
    Say it on the blog man!

You see that you'll enjoy the presentation I'll give to the Classical Physics part though.

Agerg, since I'm a non-sub scum I've reached my limit of PM so I've sent you an email with the subject The Quantum Gang. Check your inbox or your Spambox please.
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 11:364 edits
    Say it on the blog man!

You see that you'll enjoy the presentation I'll give to the Classical Physics part though.

Agerg, since I'm a non-sub scum I've reached my limit of PM so I've sent you an email with the subject The Quantum Gang. Check your inbox or your Spambox please.
    No worries, I think I've filled in and clicked on everything that needs to be filled and clicked respectively (though to be consistent with my aliases I'm starting to use elsewhere I used "TheHappyHexagon" instead of "agerg" (since I've found the latter is already used on some sites))

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree