1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    19 Jul '17 18:19
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-gut-bacteria-help-make-us-fat-and-thin/


    Now I see a reason for a well balanced diet. What we eat is food for our bacteria which then converts that food into what we need. Well balanced diet means well balanced bacteria.
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    625
    19 Jul '17 19:391 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar

    Now I see a reason for a well balanced diet.
    you mean you didn't previously ever hear of any evidence for a well balanced diet contributing to better health?
  3. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    19 Jul '17 20:02
    The biggest reason for a well balanced diet is to ensure you get all the vitamins and micro-nutrients required for good health.

    Loosing weight is another matter altogether. That is about eating less, and eating less is about avoiding foods that cause you to eat more. Its all psychological, with the realisation of course that psychology is heavily influenced by food.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    19 Jul '17 21:04
    Originally posted by @humy
    you mean you didn't previously ever hear of any evidence for a well balanced diet contributing to better health?
    Lots of diets work. You can get vitamins from supplements abd survive just fine on meats and fish.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    19 Jul '17 21:05
    Originally posted by @twhitehead
    The biggest reason for a well balanced diet is to ensure you get all the vitamins and micro-nutrients required for good health.

    Loosing weight is another matter altogether. That is about eating less, and eating less is about avoiding foods that cause you to eat more. Its all psychological, with the realisation of course that psychology is heavily influenced by food.
    The bacteria produce some of the important vitamins.
  6. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    20 Jul '17 07:43
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Lots of diets work. You can get vitamins from supplements abd survive just fine on meats and fish.
    Its not easy to get a good balance from supplements, but if you do manage, then fine, no need for a balanced diet.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    20 Jul '17 15:42
    Originally posted by @twhitehead
    Its not easy to get a good balance from supplements, but if you do manage, then fine, no need for a balanced diet.
    If you ignore your gut bacteria I'd say you are right. I'm thinking gut bacteria is an important part of the equation.
Back to Top