1. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    13 May '14 17:29
    At this point, we can only slow down global warming. Reversing it is not possible, due in part to the Earth's natural cycles regarding warming and cooling. An equally serious threat to homo sapiens is the real possibility that soon, within the next 25 years, antibiotics might be quite useless. This event will take care of much of the population across the globe, especially since microbes prefer warmer climates.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 May '14 23:17
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Land - even good land, is not in short supply. Here in Africa we have plenty of good land.
    But what you are missing, is that if Antarctica melts, then Florida will be flooded. the difference is that land in Florida is worth significantly more than land in Antarctica. Net result? Major economic loss for the US.

[b]I am sure science can figure it all ou ...[text shortened]... ing held back by people like you who who vote for politicians who are in the pockets of big oil.
    Then they will have to propose solutions that people like me can agree with.
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    13 May '14 23:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Hey, how was your wake?
    Lots of fun thanks.
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    13 May '14 23:41
    Originally posted by caissad4
    No, but it is coincidental that scientists have a major meltdown predicted in 200-300 years. That is approx. the time when the magnetic poles will flip.
    This particular sheet will take at least 200 years to melt but of course it is only one of the factors contributing to rising sea levels, and its effects presumably have to be added onto the effects of other events. 200 years is fine for my personal life expectancy but in historical terms it is not terribly long and the scale of dislocation it implies is hard to imagine.

So when people casually declare that Science will find an answer, I wonder are they thinking clearly? For example, an awful lot of the world's major cities are in coastal locations. London (population 8.2 million in 2011 and grew by 13% in the preceding decade) is already a flood risk, expanding and wilfully building on very low lying land. If this is all going to have to be relocated in 200 years time, then when should that process begin and when should they stop expanding into low land they already have been told they should not be using? Will we wait for the market to answer these questions?
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 May '14 07:22
    Originally posted by finnegan
    So when people casually declare that Science will find an answer, I wonder are they thinking clearly? For example, an awful lot of the world's major cities are in coastal locations. London (population 8.2 million in 2011 and grew by 13% in the preceding decade) is already a flood risk, expanding and wilfully building on very low lying land. If this is all g ...[text shortened]... have been told they should not be using? Will we wait for the market to answer these questions?
    Agree fully.

But the science has came to a solution already. It's the politicians who are dragging their feet.
    Of course it will cost a lot of money, so we will not expect any help from the market.
    The politicians are responsible to do something about it, and do it quickly, and further listen closely to the scientists.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 May '14 15:061 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Agree fully.

But the science has came to a solution already. It's the politicians who are dragging their feet.
    Of course it will cost a lot of money, so we will not expect any help from the market.
    The politicians are responsible to do something about it, and do it quickly, and further listen closely to the scientists.
    In other words nothing will be done till it's too late.

Doesn't this amount to a kind of human racial IQ test? Will we pass?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 May '14 18:091 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Agree fully.

We are trying to get the politicians to stop spending our tax money on nonsense. It is the people that are holding the politicans back. Most of the politicians enjoy stealing and spending our hard earned money.
  8. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    14 May '14 21:571 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    We are trying to get the politicians to stop spending our tax money on nonsense. It is the people that are holding the politicans back. Most of the politicians enjoy stealing and spending our hard earned money.
    The link in US politics between fundamentalist Christianity on the one hand and fundamentalist right wing economics on the other hand is never more evident. Of course, dealing with the implications of global warming will have economic costs. Two questions. Who will be paying and how long before they start? Answer, the rich will not be paying at all. The poor will pay.
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    15 May '14 16:01
    Just as I suspected, sowing the oceans with iron isn't going to help much!

http://phys.org/news/2014-05-seeding-oceans-iron-confer-climate.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree