1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    03 Aug '13 11:472 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    What good will it do me to think that the world is 14 or 15 billion years old and die in my sins and spend eternity in hellfire, when I could believe what the Holy Bible says and be cleased of my sins and be resurrected at judgment day to everlasting life?

The Instructor
    So you base your belief of young-Earth NOT on science or evidence or logic but rather on your religious belief that disbelieving young-Earth will make you burn in hell in some kind of supernatural afterlife.
    But why should the objective truth about how old the earth is be effected by your religious belief? Do you believe you can make the Earth objectively and actually young just by believing it so?
    And why the pretense that you believe that the evidence shows young-Earth when this is not the reason why you believe young-Earth? -answer, it is just a cover for the true motive for your belief because your true motive is religious and you wouldn't want to admit that because, it being religious makes it obviously irrational.

P.S. if you reply is a long one, please move it to the Evolution vs Creationism thread.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Aug '13 13:02
    Originally posted by humy
    So you base your belief of young-Earth NOT on science or evidence or logic but rather on your religious belief that disbelieving young-Earth will make you burn in hell in some kind of supernatural afterlife.
    But why should the objective truth about how old the earth is be effected by your religious belief? Do you believe you can make the Earth objectively and ...[text shortened]... nal.

P.S. if you reply is a long one, please move it to the Evolution vs Creationism thread.
    I don't see how having a religious belief will make me irrational if the religious belief is true. It is true that I believe in a young Earth because of my religious belief, but I also have other reasons to believe that way, which are not religious.

The Instructor
  3. Germany
    Moves
    03 Aug '13 13:09
    I don't see how having a religious belief will make me irrational if the religious belief is true. It is true that I believe in a young Earth because of my religious belief, but I also have other reasons to believe that way, which are not religious.

The Instructor
    I suppose you have a point - idiocy is not a religious belief.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Aug '13 13:20
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I suppose you have a point - idiocy is not a religious belief.
    Well, I like those that think like me. Can you blame me?

The Instructor
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Aug '13 13:501 edit
    Well, I like those that think like me. Can you blame me?

The Instructor
    You mean that steadily reducing number of like minded nutters? No, I guess we can't blame you. We blame the religion instead.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Aug '13 20:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You mean that steadily reducing number of like minded nutters? No, I guess we can't blame you. We blame the religion instead.
    What is the scientific method to your conclusion?

The Instructor
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Aug '13 21:46
    What is the scientific method to your conclusion?

The Instructor
    Stories like this:

http://www.truthwinsout.org/news/2013/07/36570/
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Aug '13 22:541 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Stories like this:

http://www.truthwinsout.org/news/2013/07/36570/
    Makes sense to me. However, she may being a bit strict. But, what do I know about it? Nothing, I guess. Isn't there a saying like, "To each his own" or something like that?

The Instructor
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Aug '13 17:24
    Makes sense to me. However, she may being a bit strict. But, what do I know about it? Nothing, I guess. Isn't there a saying like, "To each his own" or something like that?

The Instructor
    Is that what you told your son? Just get over it, marry a girl?
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    08 Aug '13 21:151 edit

The Instructor
    I don't see how having a religious belief will make me irrational if the religious belief is true.

You show your complete ignorance of basic logic yet again: A belief (religious or not ) can be irrational even if it is true providing it is based on an invalid inference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inference
    “...Inference is the act or process of deriving logical conclusions from premises known or assumed to be true ...”

If I believe that the Earth is round because the way lions hunt in packs, then I am using an invalid inference to draw a conclusion that the Earth is round from the irrelevant premise of the way lions hunt in packs and this would make by belief that the Earth is round irrational even though the conclusion just happens to be correct i.e. the Earth being round.

In the same way, in this modern day of science and reason, all religious beliefs are irrational because they do not have sound or valid inference and this would be regardless of whether some of them would just happen to be true. But we must assume that the probability of even some of those religious beliefs being true, at least those that assume the existence of a god, to be a vanishingly small probability given the proper application of Occam's razor.

It is true that I believe in a young Earth because of my religious belief, but I also have other reasons to believe that way, which are not religious.

No, you just have religious motive and no other reasons -unless you count illogic as those “other reasons”.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 04:06
    I don't see how having a religious belief will make me irrational if the religious belief is true.

You show your complete ignorance of basic logic yet again: A belief (religious or not ) can be irrational even if it is true providing it is based on an invalid inference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inference
    “...Inference is the act ...[text shortened]... have religious motive and no other reasons -unless you count illogic as those “other reasons”.
    There are many things that seem to dispute the old age view of the earth beside radiometric rock dating methods. There are challenges to how long it takes things to fossilize, the length of time it takes for coal and oil deposits to form, the length of time for the laying down of the sedimentary deposits or strata layers, such as upright fossilzed trees going through multilayers of these strata layers and the recent Mount Saint Helens volcanic eruption.

The Instructor
  12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 07:083 edits
    There are many things that seem to dispute the old age view of the earth beside radiometric rock dating methods. There are challenges to how long it takes things to fossilize, the length of time it takes for coal and oil deposits to form, the length of time for the laying down of the sedimentary deposits or strata layers, such as upright fossilzed trees goi ...[text shortened]... rs of these strata layers and the recent Mount Saint Helens volcanic eruption.

The Instructor
    all those things have confirmed old Earth.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 08:08
    all those things have confirmed old Earth.
    Not so.

The Instructor
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 01:02
    Not so.

The Instructor
    Well, there you go. RJ says it is not true. He must be right, WHY DIDN"T I SEE THAT?
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 01:48
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Objectively not, Sarfati has a Ph.D. and a B.Sc. in chemistry and his work was more connected with physical chemistry than biology, Dawkins has a M.A. in zoology and a D.Phil. both from Balliol. Dawkins is an FRS, which in terms of quality of answers to the question "what is science?" gives him the better credentials. As far as comments on evolution ar ...[text shortened]... field, whereas Dawkins is not. Sarfati is probably a better person to listen to about chess.
    A master of arts and doctorate in philosophy trumps real science degrees? As John McEnroe would say, "You can't be serious!"

YouTube

The Instructor

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree