A different kind of Forum alerts

A different kind of Forum alerts

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
25 Mar 05

I would like to be able to see when a thread has been alerted for the moderators attention.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
25 Mar 05

Originally posted by rhb
I would like to be able to see when a thread has been alerted for the moderators attention.
Would that change your mind of when and when not to alert something?

P

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
25 Mar 05

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Would that change your mind of when and when not to alert something?

P
Yes.

If I knew something was already alerted I wouldn't have to.

I would also be able to see if one of my posts could be canned, so I might be able to review it and then edit it to correct it.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
25 Mar 05

Originally posted by rhb
Yes.

If I knew something was already alerted I wouldn't have to.

I would also be able to see if one of my posts could be canned, so I might be able to review it and then edit it to correct it.
You've had 10 posts alerted since 14 Jul '04 16:22... I've had close to 80! Are you some kind of good-goody!?

😉

Also, Mods need more than one alert in some cases. We sit there wondering if someone is being sensative if only one person alerts it.

If you see something worthy of being alerted, you should also alert it... if that is how you feel.

I'm not sure there is a problem for users to know if things were alerted... just shooting the breeze here trying to figure out the pros and cons of all users seeing 'alerts'.

P

M
me, not you

CaNaDa

Moves
25 Mar 05
1 edit

hey.. thats pretty neat.. anyway we can check how many of our own posts have been alerted like you provided ?

edit: 'course.. that might promote posting stuff to get alerted.. just to see the number climb.. guess that wouldn't be a good idea after all

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
25 Mar 05

You've had 10 posts alerted since 14 Jul '04 16:22... I've had close to 80! Are you some kind of good-goody!?

😉

Also, Mods need more than one alert in some cases. We sit there wondering if someone is being sensative if only one person alerts it.

If you see something worthy of being alerted, you should also alert it... if that is how you fe ...[text shortened]... breeze here trying to figure out the pros and cons of all users seeing 'alerts'.

P

If we could compare % alerted from our total number of posts in that time I bet mine is higher 😉

How many of those alerts resulted in my posts actually being modded then stato? I bet a few alerts were for my Xmas Haiku (unrepeatable now). 😀

Seriously though, I think the benefit would be seen in the obvious cases, e.g. use of an offensive words - this only needs one alert as it is obviously going to be modded clean as soon as it hits the mod workqueue.

For posts alerted that are in a grey area it is the case you might need more than one, but I am sure the 'alerted' notice could be alongside, and not in place of, the existing alert link so others can still alert.

The users here should be putting reasons for their alert - so this should help your decision making as mods?

Just a thought anyway - something for consideration if it would add value.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
25 Mar 05
1 edit

Originally posted by rhb
If we could compare % alerted from our total number of posts in that time I bet mine is higher 😉

How many of those alerts resulted in my posts actually being modded then stato? I bet a few alerts were for my Xmas Haiku (unrepeatable now). : ...[text shortened]... hought anyway - something for consideration if it would add value.
Yup, by % you are a forums 'bad boy' for sure! When we alert, there is a text box to fill... that is fairly new.

Perhaps a little 'red hot' counter at the bottom of each post would be neat... so people know a post has already been alerted...

I'm still up in the air over the idea, Russ or someone else always comes up with a good reason why we are not doing something like that already. Like MIODude said, people might treat it as a 'badge of honor' and try to get extra alerted?!

P

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
25 Mar 05

😉

If you see something worthy of being alerted, you should also alert it... if that is how you fe ...[text shortened]... breeze here trying to figure out the pros and cons of all users seeing 'alerts'.

P

can you tell me how many alerts i have had phlab?

fred

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
25 Mar 05

I've got 2 questions:

If the moderator is alerted is the posted automatically deleted?

Or does the moderator have discretion.

If the original thread post is deleted does that mean the whole thread gets deleted?

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
26 Mar 05

Originally posted by invigorate
I've got 2 questions:

If the moderator is alerted is the posted automatically deleted?

Or does the moderator have discretion.

If the original thread post is deleted does that mean the whole thread gets deleted?
I cannot answer the first question, but the answer to you second question is no.

This explains why sometimes there are odd threads which seem to be just replies.

One thing I don't get though is why Mods don't assess adjacent posts in the thread to see if someone reply & quotes the offending post. These often remain in place.

Phlabbit - as for people trying to ge more posts alerted if there was a counter in place, I don't think there should be a counter. Just a flag to say 'this post has been alerted at least once'. The argument that 'anything that allows people to count their own performance seems to be abused' is a fair one.

d

Moves
26 Mar 05

This is a good idea but what I really want to know is who alerted the posts so I can focus all my anger in their direction instead of at the mods. Doesn't that sound like a good idea, Trav? 😉

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
26 Mar 05

Originally posted by darvlay
This is a good idea but what I really want to know is who alerted the posts so I can focus all my anger in their direction instead of at the mods. Doesn't that sound like a good idea, Trav? 😉
HA!

Well, since this thread has pulled a lot of peeps out... might as well say it here....

My computer at home has now 'bed-crapped'. I'll be off and on when I can... but off more than on.

Gah! New hard-drive and win XP needed to get back up and running at home.

Wish me luck.

P