1. Standard membermochiron
    The Don
    Nihon
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 09:45
    How about a "Team" system in addition to a club and clan system so that we can have another option of where to join.

The "Team" could be open to subs, nonsubs, and to guests at the site. Then , a person could be in the Metallica clan-team-club and really know what is happening. Such person could be identified by a "CTC" mark after their name:

l.e. Johnsmith "CTC"
  2. Standard membermochiron
    The Don
    Nihon
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 10:55
    Originally posted by mochiron
    How about a "Team" system in addition to a club and clan system so that we can have another option of where to join.

The "Team" could be open to subs, nonsubs, and to guests at the site. Then , a person could be in the Metallica clan-team-club and really know what is happening. Such person could be identified by a "CTC" mark after their name:

l.e. Johnsmith "CTC"
    Better yet Guild OR LODGERS...
  3. Amsterdam
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 11:15
    Better to NOT introduce this Club system..

Does anyone even know what the added value will be?

So far I only see that it takes away attention from other parts of the site, such as Clans..

Why not add more features to the Clan System, rather than having a second system next to it..?
  4. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 11:43
    Originally posted by Amsterdamn
    Better to [b]NOT introduce this Club system..

Does anyone even know what the added value will be?

So far I only see that it takes away attention from other parts of the site, such as Clans..

Why not add more features to the Clan System, rather than having a second system next to it..?[/b]
    I don't know if it will happen, but an added value could be, say, a French Defence Lover's Club with, oh, 100 members, and they would play a lot of games among (amongst?) themselves that would be French Defences, without having White throw a spanner in the works and play 1.d4 as you see happen a lot in Clan games. Stats from those club contests would be more meaningful as it would reflect more information on the opening. So far though, it seems like most of the clubs are of a social gathering sort rather than chess-oriented.
  5. Joined
    28 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 12:26
    This is true. It might make sense to dedicate a club to analyzing a particular opening, or to playing

Fischer Random Chess

if we had Fischer Random Chess.

But moslty, I think they'll just be somewhere else to screw around, and so detract from clan activity.
  6. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 13:041 edit
    A playing clan is a team of individuals, who play other matched teams to earn points for their team.

A private forum clan or non-playing clan is a group of friends who chat among themselves, and also line up on one side of a verbal duel with a similar group.

A club is a group of friends who chat among themselves and also earn points for their club by playing members of other clubs. They can also be used for training games, private tournaments, and as a means of blending a group of clans. They are not necessarily adversarial towards other clubs, and could be special interest groups.

What appears to be happening with the clubs concept is that clubs are forming along clan lines, therefore will behave in an adversarial manner. The only real difference between them and the private forum clans is the size of the group.

I'm not sure that this was what the site designers intended to happen, and it looks likely to interfere with the clan system if not destroy it altogether.

Any comments?
  7. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 13:37
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    A playing clan is a team of individuals, who play other matched teams to earn points for their team.

A private forum clan or non-playing clan is a group of friends who chat among themselves, and also line up on one side of a verbal duel with a similar group.

A club is a group of friends who chat among themselves and also earn points for their club ...[text shortened]... t looks likely to interfere with the clan system if not destroy it altogether.

Any comments?
    I thought that clubs didn't play against other clubs? As far as I can see the main purpose of a club is to have its own rating system, which is independent of the main site ratings, and club members can only get a club rating by playing members of the same club.

In Russ's initial post in the Clubs consultation thread, he wrote the following:

Q : Isn't this just like a super-sized clan?
    A : No, clans compete against each other, that is not the purpose of a club.

Therefore it seems that one of the main purposes of clubs is to get away from the excessive competitive nature of clans. Instead of playing exciting matches, trying to rack up points for your clan, club members are more interested in playing friendly games and having pleasant chats with their club mates, not worrying about their ratings, because after all, club ratings are fairly meaningless.

Over time this should have a knock on effect of calming everyone down, making us nicer, less competitive individuals. Problems such as cheating, harassment and flaming will disappear because in the Club Land utopia, nothing bad ever happens.
  8. Joined
    28 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 13:48
    O-ba-ma! O-ba-ma!

Seriously, I think a little more flexibility built into the do-it-yourself tournament system (still kinda beta, but very promising), maybe a clan ladder feature ... the only thing I can see that clubs are good for is doing what clans do, on a larger scale and (theoretically) minus that us/them edge.

A training game doesn't require 50 spectators. Our clan already has a thematic tournament underway -- not hard to do. We get regular lectures on the relative merits of various openings from our more experienced members. The "Game History" function makes analysis easy. The more I think about clubs, the more negative, divisive, and counter-productive I become.

O-ba-ma! O-ba-ma!
  9. The sky
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 00:311 edit
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    I thought that clubs didn't play against other clubs? As far as I can see the main purpose of a club is to have its own rating system, which is independent of the main site ratings, and club members can only get a club rating by playing members of the same club.

In Russ's initial post in the Clubs consultation thread, he wrote the following:

Q assment and flaming will disappear because in the Club Land utopia, nothing bad ever happens.
    😀 And once we have all become peaceful and calm individuals, all the clubs will join together, forming the Universal Kumbaya Club where we'll all sit around the club fire (using chess boards and pieces as firewood, as we won't want such competitive games anymore) and sing.
  10. Joined
    28 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 00:351 edit
    somebody calls you

you answer quite slowly

a girl with kaleidoscope eyes
  11. Standard membermochiron
    The Don
    Nihon
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 02:42
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    😀 And once we have all become peaceful and calm individuals, all the clubs will join together, forming the Universal Kumbaya Club where we'll all sit around the club fire (using chess boards and pieces as firewood, as we won't want such competitive games anymore) and sing.
    Well chosen words Nordlys... I can see the light.
  12. The sky
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 00:21
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    That club has arrived. The end is near. Run for your life!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree