1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 17:50
    Russ,

Do you think you can make it such that, if you alert your own post, it is immediately
    deleted? This makes a lot of sense, because (as happened recently with me) sometimes
    repeat posts happened by accidental double clicks.

It would also allow a person to withdraw material which s/he might have written in a
    moment of pique, but, upon reflection, is currently ashamed of.

Just a thought.

Nemesio
  2. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 19:20
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Russ,

Do you think you can make it such that, if you alert your own post, it is immediately
    deleted? This makes a lot of sense, because (as happened recently with me) sometimes

It would also allow a person to withdraw material which s/he might have written in a

Just a thought.

Nemesio
    Agree with the first argument but not the second.

If someone is ashamed of what they have written, they should simply revoke their original post via an apology.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 19:57
    After previous experiences, I support this, you see, a lot of posters here like to bait, antagonize, poke and frustrate you into going over the edge. They are like little girls who take pleasure in teasing and pushing you over the edge so you get into trouble. So, if you post something in response to the antagonism that goes over the edge, you can delete it completely, that would be helpful. Beforehand, I used to just edit it blank, but then these morons would quote it. What would be done about ppl quoting seconds after you post something bad and want it gone? The quote would still be there, no?
  4. In your face
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 20:27
    It is actually possible to alert a moderator about your own posts. You can them tell them why you want it to be deleted. I have done this myself. And lo and behold it worked.
    All this aside though, if you write a nasty post in the heat of the moment, I think one hour is sufficient time for you to calm down and correct what you wrote in the first place.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 21:00
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    It is actually possible to alert a moderator about your own posts. You can them tell them why you want it to be deleted. I have done this myself. And lo and behold it worked.
    All this aside though, if you write a nasty post in the heat of the moment, I think one hour is sufficient time for you to calm down and correct what you wrote in the first place.
    The problem is, idiots quote it, and even if you edit the post blank, you still get banned because ppl see the offensive post in quotes all over the place...
  6. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    13 Aug '05 17:06
    Originally posted by DeadBeSwallowed
    The problem is, idiots quote it...
    I'm sure even non-idiots might quote it.

Personally, you should stand by what you write. Otherwise you are going to find much more abuse and/or meaningless threads on the forum.

The ability to delete posts reminds me of the morning after pill. If you are going to say something you might later regret, rather abstain from posting it in the first place.

The ability to edit for a while after you have posted is quite sufficient.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Aug '05 20:10
    This sounds like a bad idea to me...people will just remove their own posts if a debate turns against them. I agree with others in the thread that a poster should choose his/her words carefully, stand by them, and if something rash or stupid has been said, retract or correct it in a later post or apologize.
  8. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    14 Aug '05 09:32
    Russ,

Just a thought.

Nemesio
    I agree and suport this idea.

There are times someone has said something to me that was harsh, and I reacted harshly, I have actually alerted my own posts before.
  9. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Aug '05 17:48
    Russ,

Just a thought.

Nemesio
    I dont support this idea either. (Same reasons as BigDoggProblem)

I once used to post in a different forum where you could delete the post, and it was a big problem, somone would post stuff that wasnt acceptable, then wait a little and get people mad, then retract the post, then somone comes in and wonders what is going on,

If you dont like it edit it out, and tell the reasons why you did

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree