1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 17:07
    I think we should allow engine accounts at RHP.

not only would it add to the player pool here, it may also reduce cheating, because people who want to see how strong an engine is could do so legitimatly.

just ensure that they have a 'computer icon' next to their name so everyone knows its a computer account....and dont allow them on the leaderboards.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 17:12
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    I think we should allow engine accounts at RHP.

not only would it add to the player pool here, it [b]may
    also reduce cheating, because people who want to see how strong an engine is could do so legitimatly.

just ensure that they have a 'computer icon' next to their name so everyone knows its a computer account....and dont allow them on the leaderboards.[/b]
    People who cheat using an engine want us to think they are super master chess players. They will not move to the engine section. This idea will not dissuade users from cheating with an engine.

P-
  3. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 19:16
    I think a better idea would be for RHP to have its own engine account(s) to play against, where the system is the engine. So you can play against RHP itself and not some person seated next to a chess engine.
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 21:30
    Originally posted by Aiko
    I think a better idea would be for RHP to have its own engine account(s) to play against, where the system is the engine. So you can play against RHP itself and not some person seated next to a chess engine.
    Download Chesspad and Crafty if you want to do that.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 17:26
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    People who cheat using an engine want us to think they are super master chess players. They will not move to the engine section. This idea will not dissuade users from cheating with an engine.

P-
    True, of course.....

But there are also those who just want to see how strong their engine, or version, is....
  6. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    03 Mar '07 23:11
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    True, of course.....

But there are also those who just want to see how strong their engine, or version, is....
    Or those of us writing our own engine, and wanting to improve it.

I doubt we'll see this here though. There are other servers that do allow engines as registered accounts, and that's probably a fine place for them to stay.

I'd like to see engine registered accounts here too, but at the same time I sort of like the "no engines ever" policy.
  7. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    04 Mar '07 13:39
    I missed something. Maybe I don't understand engines. Aren't they computer prgrams of a sort? Then why go to a chess website of real (-ish) people in search of a game against a machine? Why not just play the machine then?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree