Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

1. 04 Aug '13 18:45
    An alternative "Make move" button - not a replacement, but an addition - that, when clicked by player A (and thus the move is made), let's player B know player A is focussing on this game and would like to make more than one move, if player B wishes so. If player B also wishes to make more than one move he also uses this alternative button, if not he uses the normal button. I've often found myself wondering if my opponent is thinking about his next move or if he's gone to sleep.

Note that this is NOT the same as blitz.

Any interest in this?
  2. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    04 Aug '13 21:09
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    An alternative "Make move" button - not a replacement, but an addition - that, when clicked by player A (and thus the move is made), let's player B know player A is focussing on this game and would like to make more than one move, if player B wishes so. If player B also wishes to make more than one move he also uses this alternative button, if not he ...[text shortened]... if he's gone to sleep.

Any interest in this?
    People do try to specify this when creating open invites, for example; 'fast, game to conclude TONIGHT'...
    I've always thought it would great to have a 'dedicated' forum thread relating to arranging games, and what 'type' of games people would like to play...people could make requests relating to anything from specific set pieces to something like you're asking here. If we could just wander over to a thread that effectively arranged those quick games, or games played to a conclusion over two nights etc...sort of like someone asking that they start the game on friday at 14:00hrs GMT, and playing to a finish...if they've not been able, then they play it out at another arranged time.
  3. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    04 Aug '13 22:07
    A certain scrabble site assumes that you'll play blitz, but provides an "adjourn" function by mutual agreement. It's an alternative to blitz and turn-based, somewhere in between and more to most people's taste, I would think.
  4. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    05 Aug '13 10:48
    I do sympathize with the Notion of that button.

However I fear that it will complicate things for the new Players, and maybe some expectations are raised, that can't be fulfilled.

I once played a game with a title like VERY FAST CONLUDE TODAY. But my Opponent took about a quarter of an our foe each move and after about 3 hours I still went to bed, posting so. The Player in question was quite upset. I Refrain from taking on games with such a title since it is not clear at all what everybody means.
  5. 05 Aug '13 13:27
    I agree that the button might be confusing to new players - and some old ones ;-)

However, I think that that confusion could be solved by adding a question mark next to the extra button which, when clicked, explains the function of the button.

I know that there are various ways of setting up "fast" games, but that's not quite what I'm talking about. I'm thinking more about those "spontaneous" times where you just have 30 minutes or an hour to spare and you're in the middle of an exiting game which you would like to continue. I'm sure most people will recognize that, but I agree that "a button" would need to be explained properly otherwise you might run into situations where people just use the button always regardless of the function and meaning, which will make the button useless.
  6. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    05 Aug '13 13:55
    An alternative "Make move" button - not a replacement, but an addition - that, when clicked by player A (and thus the move is made), let's player B know player A is focussing on this game and would like to make more than one move, if player B wishes so. If player B also wishes to make more than one move he also uses this alternative button, if not he ...[text shortened]... if he's gone to sleep.

Any interest in this?
    Maybe if some members are really enthusiastic about playing games from start to finish or at least are willing to make numerous moves in one session, someone should start up a club for those who really want that kind of game action. That way members would be able to find others who are interested in playing longer sessions. Give it a name that gives an indication of this purpose, such as Live Game Club, Many Move Club, etc.
  7. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    05 Aug '13 14:13
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Maybe if some members are really enthusiastic about playing games from start to finish or at least are willing to make numerous moves in one session, someone should start up a club for those who really want that kind of game action. That way members would be able to find others who are interested in playing longer sessions. Give it a name that gives an indication of this purpose, such as Live Game Club, Many Move Club, etc.
    Great suggestion.
  8. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    05 Aug '13 23:37
    Since the OP is a subscriber and not currently a club leader, he may like to consider this idea, it seems like it would be useful to a lot of people.

In the broader area, any attempt by a player to send a message equating to "move faster" along with his move (e.g. by the suggested button) is likely to have the opposite effect to what he was looking for. I know when someone starts trying to pressure me to move faster I do more housework!
  9. 06 Aug '13 16:00
    Well, yeah. If the message is "Move faster!" then it won't work ofcourse

But I'm sure someone can come up with a nicer standard line to go with the button than that.

I'll look into this club thingy though. If anything it would be interesting to see how many people would sign up for that.
  10. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    06 Aug '13 16:20
    ... If anything it would be interesting to see how many people would sign up for that.
    Judging from other Clubs (ToD, Gambit Fantasy), quite a lot. If you advertise even more. You Need some good title like: "Chess on the spot" or something like it.
  11. 06 Aug '13 20:19
    Actually, there's a club called The fast movers, so I'll try that one. If they want me, that is.

Still would like to have an "I'm thinking!" button, though. And an app that visualises me tapping my fingers on the table as my opponent is thinking.
  12. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    07 Aug '13 15:16
    Actually, there's a club called The fast movers, so I'll try that one. If they want me, that is.

Still would like to have an "I'm thinking!" button, though. And an app that visualises me tapping my fingers on the table as my opponent is thinking.
    Cue the "my opponent says he's thinking just to screw with me!!!" threads.
  13. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    30 Aug '13 18:08

Club 253

...you probably Need to contact the admins and get the lead there...Clandarkfire is AWOL
  14. Standard member Grampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    30 Aug '13 19:51 / 1 edit
    Well, yeah. If the message is "Move faster!" then it won't work ofcourse

But I'm sure someone can come up with a nicer standard line to go with the button than that.

I'll look into this club thingy though. If anything it would be interesting to see how many people would sign up for that.
    "But I'm sure someone can come up with a nicer standard line to go with the button than that."

Another online correspondence chess site, I'm familiar with, informs
    members with an email notification whenever time remaining is less than
    eight hours. This option without a Time Bank provides 'urging' enough.

Edit: Just noticed you were concerned with interminable delays in Blitz.
    Sorry for the intrusion.