1. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '09 13:21
    I sometimes look at public games from other players. When I replay through a game, I would like to open the analysis board to study a specific position. However, the analysis board only display the latest position in the game. It would be nice to change that so that positions that occurred at different stages could be analyzed. Perhaps it could be offered as an option in "My Settings"?

Regards,

Nitreb
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Feb '09 15:09
    As far as I see you can go through the game by clicking on the yellow arrows.

So you can analyze any situation.
  3. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 02:50
    Yes, you can go through the game with the arrows, but that only replays the moves that were actually made. To try alternative lines, i.e. to "analyze", you need to use the analysis board, but it shows only the final position, not the positions you reach with the arrows. In other words, with the analysis board, you can currently only analyze starting from the last move made; I want to analyze prior positions in the game.

Try it for yourself.
  4. The sky
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 04:29
    Originally posted by Nitreb
    Yes, you can go through the game with the arrows, but that only replays the moves that were actually made. To try alternative lines, i.e. to "analyze", you need to use the analysis board, but it shows only the final position, not the positions you reach with the arrows. In other words, with the analysis board, you can currently only analyze starting from the last move made; I want to analyze prior positions in the game.

Try it for yourself.
    The analysis board has the arrows / move history, too. Maybe you need to scroll to see them.
  5. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    01 Mar '09 17:27

Try it for yourself.
    The analysis board has two sections:
    Game history allows you to scroll through the moves that were made
    Game analysis allows you to see the results of your own moves using the previous and next position arrows

Using the Game history find the position you want to analyse. Now start moving pieces around on the board. Then use the Previous and Next position links in the Games analysis section to review the moves you've made.

Use the 'position x of n' to see which of the theoretical positions you're looking at at any moment. Note: if you use the arrows in the Game history section this count will be increased for each position viewed. If you know the move number from where you want to start the analysis use the scroll bar to find it and click on the move number.
    Also worth noting that you can't branch your analysis - The position x of n count will be reset if you move a piece mid way through a sequence.
    Clicking reset removes all the history of analysis moves and puts the board back to how you started (which will be the last position in the game).
  6. Standard memberMrJohn
    A Chess Friend :-)
    Texas :-)
    Moves
    17 Mar '09 11:48
    with the analysis board, you can currently only analyze starting from the last move made; I want to analyze prior positions in the game.
    Friend :-)

You may want to try cutting and pasting the PGN into the freeware correspondence chess tool, DBSchess. No engine; just an analysis board that will keep track of alternate lines for you. It's a little quirky; but, once you get used to it, it's much better (to my way of thinking, at least) than RHP's analysis board. :-)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree