1. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 08:00
    A visually impaired user has started a thread in the Help forum with a request for assistance.

Thread 107225
  2. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 23:40
    Russ, is this a simple-to-implement programming request, or a major task?

I assist visually-impaired people with computing tasks, and just using the large board with magnification isn't enough for some, whereas the special keyboard could deal with algebraic notation using its speech-to-text function.
  3. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 20:05
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    Russ, is this a simple-to-implement programming request, or a major task?

I assist visually-impaired people with computing tasks, and just using the large board with magnification isn't enough for some, whereas the special keyboard could deal with algebraic notation using its speech-to-text function.
    Wouldn't algebraic notation make it easier for the cheaters paste moves?
  4. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 20:07
    Originally posted by Crowley
    I think it more its more important to allow the impaired to play, than it is to try to make it harder to paste moves because someone MIGHT cheat.

-GIN
  5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 20:12
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    I think it more its more important to allow the impaired to play, than it is to try to make it harder to paste moves because someone MIGHT cheat.

-GIN
    Sure, it would be great to allow everyone to play.

Unfortunately we don't live in lala-land and cheating drives paying customers away from this awesome site, so balance is very important.
  6. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 20:20
    Dude, cheaters will cheat anyway this or that way. And even if that means that would cheat faster, they would become so greedy because of that new feature that they could be detected more easily.
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 20:26
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Dude, cheaters will cheat anyway this or that way. And even if that means that would cheat faster, they would become so greedy because of that new feature that they could be detected more easily.
    It's OK, I think I'll stick with making it as difficult as possible for them to ply their trade here.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 21:111 edit
    It's OK, I think I'll stick with making it as difficult as possible for them to ply their trade here.
    Copying a move graphically is not any harder than copying a move via notation. Denying the notation feature would not only fail to deter cheats; it wouldn't even slow them down.

Edit: In the help forum thread, Russ said he'll make this feature available if possible.
  9. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 21:46
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Copying a move graphically is not any harder than copying a move via notation. Denying the notation feature would not only fail to deter cheats; it wouldn't even slow them down.

Edit: In the help forum thread, Russ said he'll make this feature available if possible.
    Great, finally an answer to the question I posed in the beginning of the thread.
    This is all I wanted to know.
  10. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 03:311 edit
    How exactly would it make it easier to cheat. That sounds like a red herring to me. I would just throw that fish back in the water as being to small to bother with.

Edit: Sorry I didn't see Swift Gambits post.
  11. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 07:38
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    How exactly would it make it easier to cheat. That sounds like a red herring to me. I would just throw that fish back in the water as being to small to bother with.

Edit: Sorry I didn't see Swift Gambits post.
    I don't know, I can't even read chess notation.

I just thought someone could rapidly copy & paste notation, whereas now they have to look at the engine and then copy the move on the board here - this is why I thought it takes longer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree