1. Standard membergotti2000
    The winemaker
    Austria
    Moves
    09 Oct '05 08:042 edits
    Quite often the move frequency in the players profiles is not up to date anyway. I think it would help to calculate the move frequency automatically derived off the last 30 games to name any number. The frequency could be calculated just once a month to keep database overhead low.

A nice metric would be: average waiting hours per move per game.

We could then take this value to set restrictions on Long Haul Tournaments or use it in another way. See http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=29948&page=1

Gotti
  2. Berks.
    Moves
    09 Oct '05 21:27
    But surely such a system wouldn't work too well with a player such as myself. Move quickly in some games and slowly in others.

And besides, fixing a value for long haul tournaments to decide on entry would stop people entering, just when it's the sort of thing which they might need (say a person who plays daily most of the time, but with regular two/three week breaks)?
  3. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    09 Oct '05 21:28
    Originally posted by Peakite
    But surely such a system wouldn't work too well with a player such as myself. Move quickly in some games and slowly in others.

And besides, fixing a value for long haul tournaments to decide on entry would stop people entering, just when it's the sort of thing which they might need (say a person who plays daily most of the time, but with regular two/three week breaks)?
    It's not a bad idea for starters. Maybe a bit of thinking around it could help solve some of these issues.
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    10 Oct '05 12:31
    Good idea, but move frequency should not be used to restrict entry into tourneys etc.
    Maybe if a player decides to enter a low TO / TB tourney the site can show a 'Are you sure you want to do this!?' message, pointing out that he's move frequency would not really be on par for the tourney he's entering...
  5. Standard membergotti2000
    The winemaker
    Austria
    Moves
    11 Oct '05 06:101 edit
    Originally posted by Peakite

I don't want to restrict ALL long haul tournaments just a few like we also have just a few banded tournaments. We can name them different. Probably 'Slug and Lettuce Tourney'. I think for Tournament names its about time to move to London pub names anyway :-)
    'The Kings Head' sounds great!

gg
  6. Johannesburg
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 08:43
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Good idea, but move frequency should not be used to restrict entry into tourneys etc.
    Maybe if a player decides to enter a low TO / TB tourney the site can show a 'Are you sure you want to do this!?' message, pointing out that he's move frequency would not really be on par for the tourney he's entering...
    I agree this shouldn't be used to restrict entry...

The whole point of the problem is that even if slow tournaments are not exactly on par with a fast player's move frequency, there's nothing lost by enetering the tournament. Sometimes fast players just want a tournament - and any tournament will do.

On the other hand, slow players who would like to enter these tournaments are greatly inconvenienced because they only get to enter if they happen to login within a day/two of the tournament being created. (Unlikely for obvious reasons.)

Furthermore, this creates a problem for Russ who has no means to differentiate demand for tournaments of any kind, and demand for long-haul tournaments.

I agree this shouldn't be used to restrict entry, because even fast players may have a specific desire to enter a slow tournament. I wouldn't even bother with the warning - people can read the time-controls on the tournament page.

Solution:
    I know it has been suggested to allow site users to create their own tournaments (this would help, but could lead to a host of other problems).

Another idea would be to allow pre-registration for tournaments:
    - each player can pre-register for certain types of tournaments they would like to enter. (fast, slow, rating-banded, small/large groups,...)
    - whenever the next appropriate tournament is created, all pre-registered players are automatically added and notified.
    - each player is given a reasonable amount of time to remove themselves if they have changed their minds.
    - all other places in the tournament on filled on a first-come-first-served basis.
  7. Johannesburg
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 08:48
    BTW: I think "Auto calculate move frequency" is an excellent idea - even though I wouldn't use it to implement any rules.

Move frequency is very useful in deciding whether to accept an open invite or whether to accept or make a challenge. However, this only applies if the setting is up-to-date.
  8. Standard memberhowitzer
    rockling
    The crags
    Moves
    19 Oct '05 12:005 edits
    It seems to me that there _is_ a need to do something about the long haul tournaments and how the slow-playing SUBSCRIBERS rarely get to play them.

Check out
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=29948&page=1

(edit: damn, can't get that link to work)
  9. Johannesburg
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 13:00
    Originally posted by howitzer
    It seems to me that there _is_ a need to do something about the long haul tournaments and how the slow-playing SUBSCRIBERS rarely get to play them.

Check out
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=29948&page=1

(edit: damn, can't get that link to work)
    There seems to be general agreement about this, and there are also many valid arguments against resticting 'fast' players from entering these tournaments.

What do you think of my suggestion a few posts earlier: Russ could consider setting up a mechanism for pre-registration into tournaments?
  10. Standard memberhowitzer
    rockling
    The crags
    Moves
    28 Oct '05 09:58
    Originally posted by craigy
    What do you think of my suggestion a few posts earlier: Russ could consider setting up a mechanism for pre-registration into tournaments?
    Seems good to me. The only drawback is that it probably requires a fair amount of work, and also a big(ish) change to the 'site. It's the 'right' way to solve this problem, but Russ may prefer a more practical approach?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree