1. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 14:172 edits
    This is an old suggestion but I'd really like to see it implemented. One more try:

Auto messages (settings menu options):

1. First move of the game (a) Hi, best of luck, (b) good game (or any others that are polite), or (c) I don't send pointless messages in games and I auto ignore messages from opponents (with an option to do so)

2. Last move (a) Good game, nicely played (when the other opponent wins), (b) Thanks for the game, I'll look forward to our next one (with a won game), or (c) Thank you for playing

How difficult can this be?

If anyone objects, they'd have the option not to use it.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 15:58
    Originally posted by coquette
    This is an old suggestion but I'd really like to see it implemented. One more try:

1. First move of the game (a) Hi, best of luck, (b) good game (or any others that are polite), or (c) I don't send pointless messages in games and I auto ignore messages from opponents (with an option to do so)

2. Last move (a) ...[text shortened]... ng

Good proposal, as long we can turn this option off individually for each game.

Usually I use the same greeting for every game, unless I have met them before, or they come from a country with a language that know how to greet them in.

Sometimes I forget to give my opponent a greeting, so a default greeting would be nice.
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 17:41
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Good proposal, as long we can turn this option off individually for each game.

Usually I use the same greeting for every game, unless I have met them before, or they come from a country with a language that know how to greet them in.

Sometimes I forget to give my opponent a greeting, so a default greeting would be nice.
    Nice comment that leads to an enhancement!

The settings could have some default greetings and send offs that would be auto translated to the language of the opponent! How could would that be?
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 17:52

You forgot 1. "You any good"?

and

2. "War is war, loser".

P-
  5. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 18:08
    I think this would be a very nice option.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 19:03
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    You forgot 1. "You any good"?

and

2. "War is war, loser".

P-
    Actually, if this suggestion were implemented, I think being able to personally format what these standard messages would say would make it that much better.
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 May '09 10:36
    Good idea
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 May '09 14:32
    Stop being so bloody lazy and talk to people like you actually mean what you say. Having auto messages are the equivalent of not wanting to be bothered with actually talking someone.
  9. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    11 May '09 19:54

"Your game was important to me but not important enough to actually take the time to write something personally to you. You are not important enough for me to take 3 seconds and type you a message. I hope you enjoy my insult to you"

That IS what you are saying isn't it?
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 May '09 20:04
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Actually, if this suggestion were implemented, I think being able to personally format what these standard messages would say would make it that much better.
    Who are you?
  11. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    12 May '09 04:261 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Stop being so bloody lazy and talk to people like you actually mean what you say. Having auto messages are the equivalent of not wanting to be bothered with actually talking someone.
    Starrman: 0 games in progress
    uzless: 5 games in progress

coquette: 136 games in progress, and I'm the lazy one. I see.
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    12 May '09 15:09

If someone opts to ignore auto salutations, and doesn't respond... when if you sent a normal heart-felt message they would respond, will you think them rude? I would hope there would be a way to ignore these messages, since you were not able to take the time to type out "good luck" or any other message in your game.

P-
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    12 May '09 21:11

I'm not a sub. When I was, I avg'd about 30 games.

136 is a bit much for me. I have work to do during the day and don't sit at home all night after work. Perhaps you have more dead time to spend playing chess than some of us.
  14. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    13 May '09 07:352 edits
    Originally posted by uzless
    Perhaps you have more dead time to spend playing chess than some of us.
    Which should translate into more time to write senseless messages...

Anyway, coquette, for the time being see this thread:
    Thread 109401
    I'm using this tool more and more these days and it works great.

For instance, if I want to add a URL in the private forums I copy the URL, type rhpurl in the post text box and press tab.
    This code then 'runs': [url=%c]%|[/url]
    It inserts the tags for me, pastes the clipboard and puts the cursor between the tags. Works great and will do what you want.

Gimme a shout if you need more help with this tool...
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 May '09 08:45

I don't play chess anymore, what's lazy about that? I just choose not to. Not bothering to actually wish someone good luck in preference for auto-generated response is lame, lazy and kind of rude.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree