1. Joined
    20 May '04
    Moves
    17274
    09 Oct '09 15:04
    If you put a player in check and mate is one move away AND you queue the final move as a conditional move, it would be nice to have the system recognize the win as a checkmate right away.

    Maybe this is dumb, but it just seems slightly cooler to win by checkmate vs. winning by resignation.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    09 Oct '09 15:40
    Originally posted by alohatiger
    If you put a player in check and mate is one move away AND you queue the final move as a conditional move, it would be nice to have the system recognize the win as a checkmate right away.

    Maybe this is dumb, but it just seems slightly cooler to win by checkmate vs. winning by resignation.
    What if there are 5 branches that all lead to mate in 1? How much server resources do we want to spend on verifying analysis?
  3. Joined
    20 May '04
    Moves
    17274
    09 Oct '09 15:57
    Well, if there are 5 branches the automate fails. The logic doesn't seem so hard:

    Player sets conditional move. Evaluate:
    1. Is other player is in check?
    2. Is there only one move for other player to get out of check?
    3. Does conditional move match opponent's only move?
    4. Does conditional move result in checkmate?
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    09 Oct '09 16:11
    Originally posted by alohatiger
    Well, if there are 5 branches the automate fails. The logic doesn't seem so hard:

    Player sets conditional move. Evaluate:
    1. Is other player is in check?
    2. Is there only one move for other player to get out of check?
    3. Does conditional move match opponent's only move?
    4. Does conditional move result in checkmate?
    Or, we could just accept that resignation is a fully legitimate way of winning the game. 😵
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    09 Oct '09 16:36
    Originally posted by alohatiger
    If you put a player in check and mate is one move away AND you queue the final move as a conditional move, it would be nice to have the system recognize the win as a checkmate right away.

    Maybe this is dumb, but it just seems slightly cooler to win by checkmate vs. winning by resignation.
    No.

    I resign when I'm going to be mated (if I see it, missed it 3 or so times here at RHP)

    I don't want RHP deciding I'm going to move a piece and you're going to mate me. I pride myself on knowing what's going on (most often) and resigning when it's time.

    P-
  6. SubscriberKewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    317140
    10 Oct '09 00:27
    Originally posted by alohatiger
    If you put a player in check and mate is one move away AND you queue the final move as a conditional move, it would be nice to have the system recognize the win as a checkmate right away.

    Maybe this is dumb, but it just seems slightly cooler to win by checkmate vs. winning by resignation.
    "cooler" is important in chess?
  7. Joined
    20 May '04
    Moves
    17274
    10 Oct '09 01:251 edit
    Originally posted by alohatiger
    Maybe this is dumb
    Looks like I was right...
  8. Standard memberBedingbedang
    commente moi donc ça
    Montreal
    Joined
    28 Dec '06
    Moves
    87961
    10 Oct '09 11:33
    I tought this thread was about masturbation... oh well..
  9. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    9174
    11 Oct '09 04:12
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    "cooler" is important in chess?
    You get 0.00000000000000000000000000000001 more rating points for a "cooler" win.
  10. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    5301
    11 Oct '09 15:58
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    No.

    I resign when I'm going to be mated (if I see it, missed it 3 or so times here at RHP)

    I don't want RHP deciding I'm going to move a piece and you're going to mate me. I pride myself on knowing what's going on (most often) and resigning when it's time.

    P-
    I like this idea. I've had at least one game where I had to wait for the timeout for a mate in one.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    12 Oct '09 05:49
    Originally posted by alohatiger
    If you put a player in check and mate is one move away AND you queue the final move as a conditional move, it would be nice to have the system recognize the win as a checkmate right away.

    Maybe this is dumb, but it just seems slightly cooler to win by checkmate vs. winning by resignation.
    No, it's always the opponent's decision to resign or play to the mate.
    If you think it's cooler to mate, perhaps your opponent thinks it's cooler to resign, or let it go to time out. It's his right.
    No auto mate, thank you.
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    12 Oct '09 17:531 edit
    Originally posted by gezza
    I like this idea. I've had at least one game where I had to wait for the timeout for a mate in one.
    It wasn't me, now was it? RHP should NEVER force any user to make a move they don't want.

    As for any clown prolonging a game, they would be well advised to know that taking the lost game ASAP is actually better for their precious rating than hording them and letting clocks run.

    Don't punish everyone at RHP because of a handful of clowns without the guts to either make the losing move or click resign, and certainly don't play this player again if they're not mature enough to know when they've been beat.

    P-
  13. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Joined
    03 Apr '06
    Moves
    44348
    14 Oct '09 02:01
  14. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    5301
    14 Oct '09 17:201 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    It wasn't me, now was it? RHP should NEVER force any user to make a move they don't want.

    As for any clown prolonging a game, they would be well advised to know that taking the lost game ASAP is actually better for their precious rating than hording them and letting clocks run.

    Don't punish everyone at RHP because of a handful of clowns without the play this player again if they're not mature enough to know when they've been beat.

    P-
    You are probably right, and it was certainly not you.

    I was pretty chuffed with myself for having found the mate in 7 from here (black to play):

    So I was a little disappointed when my opponent played everything but the last move (and slowly, IIRC), and then let the game time out.

    I'm always amazed that people don't get the rating issue ;-)

    Edit: mate in seven, not six.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    14 Oct '09 18:29
    Originally posted by gezza
    You are probably right, and it was certainly not you.

    I was pretty chuffed with myself for having found the mate in 7 from here (black to play):
    [fen]4r1k1/1b5p/p2p2p1/2pP4/2Bn4/1P2r1qP/R2Qp1P1/B3R2K b[/fen]
    So I was a little disappointed when my opponent played everything but the last move (and slowly, IIRC), and then let the game time out.

    I'm always amazed that people don't get the rating issue ;-)

    Edit: mate in seven, not six.
    1...Nf3 2.gf Qf3 3.Kg1 Qg3 4.Kh1 Qh3 5.Kg1 Rg3 6.Kf2 Qg2#

    Six.
Back to Top