1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 06:30
    Turnament entry rating has just about been done to death - but one factor yet to be considered is the lag between entry and the start of the first round. There are two 1550-1699 tournaments about to start where the top 4 enrants exceed the upper limit, and no doubt several other examples in other bands. Does anybody see milage in excluding drastically over or under rated players before the start of the tournament?
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 11:19
    Originally posted by CauselessOne
    Turnament entry rating has just about been done to death - but one factor yet to be considered is the lag between entry and the start of the first round. There are two 1550-1699 tournaments about to start where the top 4 enrants exceed the upper limit, and no doubt several other examples in other bands. Does anybody see milage in excluding drastically over or under rated players before the start of the tournament?
    It doesn't affect me - but in banded tournaments couldn't the ones who exceed the limit be automatically moved up to the next band after the round finishes? [That is if the round has taken them above the limit - if already above the limit shouldn't they be moved up before it starts?]
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 17:59
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    It doesn't affect me - but in banded tournaments couldn't the ones who exceed the limit be automatically moved up to the next band after the round finishes? [That is if the round has taken them above the limit - if already above the limit shouldn't they be moved up before it starts?]
    Perhaps we concern ourselves too much about rating, myself being as guilty as the next person. If we play a much higher rated player, and can actually learn just one thing from that game, then we can look at it as an accomplishment, instead of a defeat.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 18:13
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Perhaps we concern ourselves too much about rating, myself being as guilty as the next person. If we play a much higher rated player, and can actually learn just one thing from that game, then we can look at it as an accomplishment, instead of a defeat.
    I agree. Ratings are overrated 😳 but a lot of folks play rated tournaments to achieve a win. they are rarely (if ever) seen in the unbanded ones where they have no hope of winning. It seems a little unfair to have a newly arrived GM deprive them of their hour of triumph.
  5. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 21:01
    At times I've been 200 rating points below the rating band in my tourneys, I've also been above the rating band in the same tourneys.

Hmmm....
  6. Joined
    09 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 04:25
    Personally, I think it's fair as some players vary a lot in a short span of time. Rate a person when they entered and leave it alone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree