1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 17:42
    I'm playing a guy who was playing meman before he was banned. i said he could take heart in the fact that it was an engine that really beat him, and not the man.
    He said "after four defeats and loss of points, thats small reward", which promted the following question.

If a player has been banned for cheating, should his past opponents be given back points lost ? If an athlete in the olympics is banned for using drugs the results are changed acordingly?
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 18:45
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    I'm playing a guy who was playing meman before he was banned. i said he could take heart in the fact that it was an engine that really beat him, and not the man.
    He said "after four defeats and loss of points, thats small reward", which promted the following question.

If a player has been banned for cheating, should his past opponents be given ...[text shortened]... ? If an athlete in the olympics is banned for using drugs the results are changed acordingly?
    How many points do you really think you would lose in 4 losses to a 2200 player? Such a horrible loss that handful (or less perhaps none) of points.

As for returning all lost points it's unworkable, to do it properly you would have to expunge all the banned players games from the archive and then recalculate all points since their first game. This is required as say I lose points to meman and then play someone else, the points they gain or lose depends on my rating which has been effected by meman.
  3. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 18:52
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    How many points do you really think you would lose in 4 losses to a 2200 player? Such a horrible loss that handful (or less perhaps none) of points.

As for returning all lost points it's unworkable, to do it properly you would have to expunge all the banned players games from the archive and then recalculate all points since their first game. This is re ...[text shortened]... meone else, the points they gain or lose depends on my rating which has been effected by meman.
    yes. all the games affected by the changes would have to be altered. bad idea. how about 2 or 3 points as way of compensation?

If you check my profile you will notice that i am not suggesting this for personal gain
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 20:20
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    yes. all the games affected by the changes would have to be altered. bad idea. how about 2 or 3 points as way of compensation?

If you check my profile you will notice that i am not suggesting this for personal gain
    what part of ireland are you in? no broadband 😞

a few rating points isn't that important so i don't think players getting beat by cheaters should be given any back.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree