1. West Virginia
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 18:12
    The "Highest Rating (in last 30 days)" helps, but if that rating exceeds the banded range, after the player has entered, he is still paired anyway.

Example: April 06 Grouped Banded 1600-1699 Tournament 1065 which started 18-Apr. Wuffell User 195025 has been rated outside the banded range since 11-Apr, yet was still paired.

Can other examples, maybe in other tournaments, be found? How about in the Easter '06 Grouped Banded 1200-1400 Tournament 1079 which started 13-Apr where player badmoon User 229517 had been over the banded range since 9-Apr. There are possibly examples from the lower side, but the 30 day cushion makes these are a bit more difficult to spot.

So a solution might be a script which selects banded tournaments and makes sure the "Highest Rating (in last 30 days)" is still within the banded range. Possibly a pm to let the player know they no longer are within the rating band for the tournament with the entry removal? If it were ran regularly a player could possibly enter into the next tier of the banded tournament.
  2. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 18:50
    Somehow, I still thinks an average rating helps with this problem. Especially in combination with the highest rating of the last 30 days. An average rating which, in my opinion, may be reset to be based on games after a certain date in case of certain conditions (e.g. major timeout) that have occured and have influenced the rating and its average unreasonable.
  3. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 22:44
    Originally posted by Drax946
    The "Highest Rating (in last 30 days)" helps, but if that rating exceeds the banded range, after the player has entered, he is still paired anyway.

Example: [b]April 06 Grouped Banded 1600-1699
    Tournament 1065 which started 18-Apr. Wuffell User 195025 has been rated outside the banded range since 11-Apr, yet was still paired.

Can other examp ...[text shortened]... re ran regularly a player could possibly enter into the next tier of the banded tournament.[/b]
    A solution needs to be found for this problem. You will find numerous threads about it in here, a few started by myself.
    Russ&co must know of this, but I have seen no feedback about this problem.

I proposed a weighted average solution (in some form) which might help.
  4. Donationmurrow
    penguinpuffin
    finsbury
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 23:34
    i advocate the simplest solution to this problem: a longer time-limit on the highest rating stat: 90 days.
  5. London
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 00:46
    tournament mods
  6. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 00:52
    Originally posted by murrow
    i advocate the simplest solution to this problem: a longer time-limit on the highest rating stat: 90 days.
    Unfortunately, that will not be in my favour as soon as I am cashing in all those skulls I have collected for over a year. I will be stuck at playing those 2000+ tournaments for months...
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 14:30
    Originally posted by Freddie2006
    [b]tournament mods[/b]
    Why would we need that if we could just have a simple, automated statistical solution?
    I believe the tournament mods idea has some merit, but only to help streamline the tournament creation etc. for Russ - if he would need something like that... and to do some tournament admin tasks, but the actual entry into tournaments needs some more work.

I believe it would be easy, but I'm no math or stats wiz...
  8. Standard memberWheely
    Instant Buzz
    C#minor
    Moves
    25 Apr '06 15:13
    There are a few issues that make this a thorny subject. Firstly, If you enter a banded tournament and do well you will almost certainly rise well above the ceiling of that tournament in the first round. I am currently in two tournaments and happened to do well in both. I was near the bottom of the lowest band when I started and am now way above both ceilings and my "true" rating level.

Given that we all have spikes and other rating anomolies (such as playing a friend you regularly win against) is it fair to get crushed in all your tournaments for several months?

I'm not sure what the alternative is except perhaps doing away with banded tournaments completely and just having a pool of people who want to enter a tournament and then randomly plucking 64 of them out for each tournament.
  9. West Virginia
    Moves
    25 Apr '06 19:30
    Originally posted by Wheely
    There are a few issues that make this a thorny subject. Firstly, If you enter a banded tournament and do well you will almost certainly rise well above the ceiling of that tournament in the first round. I am currently in two tournaments and happened to do well in both. I was near the bottom of the lowest band when I started and am now way above both ceil ...[text shortened]... who want to enter a tournament and then randomly plucking 64 of them out for each tournament.
    I personally do not like either of your solutions and see them merely creating more problems.

I also believe you have missed my point. Those indicated, if you would have looked, were above the range of the banded tournament before it had started and were still paired into the tournament inspite of their rating being out of the range of the banded tournament from it's beginning (round 1 to eliminate any possible mis-reading).

So a person enters a banded tournament ahead of time, when they are within the banded range (say 1200-1299). Then before the tournament begins, the person's rating shoots up (say 1500 or so). The person will not be removed from the tournament, but will be paired into round 1 of the tournament as if their rating was still within the banded range of 1200-1299 even though their rating is 1500.

Do you see this as a problem or a rule violation?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree