1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 16:263 edits
    Whenever I quote someone using a parenthetical, the winking emoticon appears in my quote.

For example, If I'm discussing famous presidential speeches (such as "four score and seven years ago"šŸ˜‰ and use parentheses, the site's coding inserts the winking emoticon. To get around this, I have to edit my post by putting an extra space between right parenthetical and quotation mark. The net result is ("four score and seven years ago" ), which can seem unsightly at times.

A change should be made to the site's code (by that, I mean programming), so that a quotation mark and a parenthetical WON'T make an emoticon if the quotation mark doesn't have a space after a letter. This way, people won't accidentally put the emoticon in their quote (and single quotes as well).
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 22:14
    I (100šŸ˜µ agree with you.
  3. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    06 Sep '16 08:40
    While I fell into that some times, I think the parantheses as shortcut for smilies is so well established that the only working solution would be to insert a menue to choose from them. Like they do in Whatsapp.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 Sep '16 12:231 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    While I fell into that some times, I think the parantheses as shortcut for smilies is so well established that the only working solution would be to insert a menue to choose from them. Like they do in Whatsapp.
    I mentioned in the OP that the emoticon should only be disabled if there's no space between a letter and and the quotation mark.

Posters typically leave a space between a word and their selected emoticon. If a rule is added in the site's code requiring that no letter immediately preceeds the emoticon, posters can still use the shortcut without worrying about accidentally creating one.
  5. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    07 Sep '16 12:11
    Originally posted by vivify
    I mentioned in the OP that the emoticon should only be disabled if there's no space between a letter and and the quotation mark.

Posters typically leave a space between a word and their selected emoticon. If a rule is added in the site's code requiring that no letter immediately preceeds the emoticon, posters can still use the shortcut without worrying about accidentally creating one.
    Good suggestions. I missed that šŸ™
  6. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '16 02:252 edits
    1.f3 e5 2. Kf2 (2.g4?? 2..Qh4šŸ™„
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Sep '16 06:51
    Originally posted by vivify
    Whenever I quote someone using a parenthetical, the winking emoticon appears in my quote.

For example, If I'm discussing famous presidential speeches (such as "four score and seven years ago"šŸ˜‰ and use parentheses, the site's coding inserts the winking emoticon. To get around this, I have to edit my post by putting an extra space between right parenthe ...[text shortened]... This way, people won't accidentally put the emoticon in their quote (and single quotes as well).
    This has been a hassle ever since the site went up.

My solution is identical to yours - a space before the close parenthesis.

I approve your message.
  8. Standard memberLEUR
    TEXAS
    STATE OF THE HEART
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 16:261 edit
    :'( more tear...I just want the cry emotee back, that's all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree