Chrome and Firefox about to release version 100

Chrome and Firefox about to release version 100

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
17 Feb 22

https://www.engadget.com/firefox-and-chrome-versions-100-may-break-some-websites-085422307.html

What do you think of this, Russ?

Is RHP ready for this?

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
17 Feb 22

I caught this story earlier elsewhere - but there is no issue for RHP as we do not change our content based on the browser used - everyone gets the same.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention though.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Mar 22

@russ said
I caught this story earlier elsewhere - but there is no issue for RHP as we do not change our content based on the browser used - everyone gets the same.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention though.
So you don't track browser version numbers?

Moves
02 Mar 22

@suzianne said
So you don't track browser version numbers?
Even then, why would the specific first-level number matter? You track the whole version, not just the main one.

Moves
02 Mar 22

@suzianne said
https://www.engadget.com/firefox-and-chrome-versions-100-may-break-some-websites-085422307.html

What do you think of this, Russ?

Is RHP ready for this?
Just want to say, despite everything, that was considerate of you.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Mar 22

@shallow-blue said
Even then, why would the specific first-level number matter? You track the whole version, not just the main one.
In case you haven't been following this issue, the version numbers of these browsers are now going to be three-digit integers instead of two-digits. This reminds one of the 'Year 2000' issue 20+ years ago. Just tracking these numbers will now involve a larger pre-defined variable type to store that data. And browser version numbers probably aren't tracked by websites down to the number following the second or third decimal point anyways. Why would they need to? The Y2K problem wasn't the month or the day, it was the year that now needed 4 digits to store, rather than a lazy 2. The problem here would be the now 3-digit number if website programmwrs only allocated 2 digits for that version number.

Does it affect all websites? No. This website is probably safer than most in this regard, as the programming is all in-house, and so there is someone right here with detailed knowledge of the programming.

Moves
09 Mar 22

@suzianne said
In case you haven't been following this issue, the version numbers of these browsers are now going to be three-digit integers instead of two-digits.
In case you've never worked in computer programming - I do, every day of my life, and I got through the Y2K scare five years before you non-comps were even aware of it, so your condescension falls just a tiny bit flat - nobody but a complete imbecile stores a version identifier in an actual number, let alone in a digit field.

A version identifier, like a phone number, an ISBN, a SSN, and all that kind of thing, is a string, not a number, and nobody who is scared of adding another "digit" should ever be allowed near a code editor.

Seriously. Only in the minds of middle managers and low-level journalists could this possibly be an issue.