Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. 15 Mar '06 20:45
    I get these messages, for example:

    The 'The Mustangs' have bounced a challenge.

    Can we please remove the first "The".
    It bugs me.
  2. 15 Mar '06 20:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    I get these messages, for example:

    The 'The Mustangs' have bounced a challenge.

    Can we please remove the first "The".
    It bugs me.
    I'm sure Russ would figure it out, but I feel like showing off here:

    $str = preg_replace('|^The |', '', $str);

    Ok, that was too easy...

    $str being the clan name of course, so:

    The 'Mustangs' have bounced a challenge

    Or should it be:

    $str = preg_replace("|^The 'The |", "'The ", $str);

    giving (if str is now the composed string):

    'The Mustangs' have bounced a challenge

    ??
  3. 15 Mar '06 20:59
    Originally posted by stocken
    I'm sure Russ would figure it out, but I feel like showing off here:

    $str = preg_replace('|^The |', '', $str);

    Ok, that was too easy...

    $str being the clan name of course, so:

    The 'Mustangs' have bounced a challenge

    Or should it be:

    $str = preg_replace("|^The 'The |", "'The ", $str);

    giving (if str is now the composed string):

    'The Mustangs' have bounced a challenge

    ??
    No, that was too difficult.

    The first "The" in the string is extraneous. All Russ has to do is simply remove it.

    Eg, for your clan Bruno's Revenge, it will say,
    "The 'Bruno's Revenge' have bounced a challenge".

    Get rid of the the:

    'Bruno's Revenge' have bounced a challenge.

    Simple.
  4. 15 Mar '06 21:03
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    No, that was too difficult.

    The first "The" in the string is extraneous. All Russ has to do is simply remove it.

    Eg, for your clan Bruno's Revenge, it will say,
    "The 'Bruno's Revenge' have bounced a challenge".

    Get rid of the the:

    'Bruno's Revenge' have bounced a challenge.

    Simple.
    Or add "clan" and replace "have" with "has":

    The clan "Looking Sideways" has bounced a challenge.
  5. 15 Mar '06 21:20 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    No, that was too difficult.

    The first "The" in the string is extraneous. All Russ has to do is simply remove it.

    Eg, for your clan Bruno's Revenge, it will say,
    "The 'Bruno's Revenge' have bounced a challenge".

    Get rid of the the:

    'Bruno's Revenge' have bounced a challenge.
    Oh. So, no need for nice (if kindergarden level) regular expressions? I'll just go to bed now...
  6. Standard member Aiko
    Nearing 200000...!
    16 Mar '06 01:00
    If this will be making it into the next release, I prefer to see '1 game waiting' instead of '1 games waiting' (if there really is one game waiting of course) on my pages corrected too.
  7. 16 Mar '06 02:02
    "The Mustangs" said no.



    Done.
  8. Standard member Natural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    16 Mar '06 14:53
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Or add "clan" and replace "have" with "has":

    The clan "Looking Sideways" has bounced a challenge.
    Sounds good. The clan "Clan Caissa" has bounced a challenge.
  9. Standard member Aiko
    Nearing 200000...!
    16 Mar '06 15:40
    Maybe it is more fun and better suited if clan leaders can write their own bounce notification in the clan preference settings instead of an automatic generated one.
  10. 16 Mar '06 17:20
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    Sounds good. The clan "Clan Caissa" has bounced a challenge.
    Wait! Wait! I got one!

    The clan "The Polish Clan" has bounced a challenge.

    hu hu...

    Bounced a challenge...

    hu hu...

    Get it?..

    Hate to admit it, but hopscotch is right. All that's needed is to remove anything before the clan name. Thus:

    'A Big Mistake' has bounced your challenge
  11. 16 Mar '06 17:24
    Originally posted by stocken
    'A Big Mistake' has bounced your challenge
    Or: It was "A Big Mistake" to bounce this challenge.
  12. 16 Mar '06 17:32 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Or: It was "A Big Mistake" to bounce this challenge.
    You know, that's actually a great idea. If the program could recognize opportunities to be ironic? How about this one:

    'Devoted To Dogs' barked up the wrong challenge

    or:

    'Looking Sideways', they got lost and bounced off the challenge

    [Edit: Uhm, what does it mean to bounce a challenge anyway? Is it like what happens to me belly when I get up to dance, or?..]