Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Standard member JonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    28 Mar '08 20:46 / 1 edit
    This has always struck me as strange.

    Most of the time it doesn't matter too much as usually White moves fairly quickly after the game starts but this is not always the case.

    E.g when a Tournament starts and a player happens to be on vacation. I'm experiencing this with one opponent at the moment.

    I see no reason why vacation shouldn't also apply right at the start of the game and certainly don't think a player should be timed out in such circumstances. If you happen to be on holiday when a tournament starts then so be it....

    but I see no reason why White's clock shouldn't be ticking.


    In theory White could just never move and what happens then? I realise that's unlikely to happen but still it strikes me as strange that White's clock doesn't start as soon as the tournament is officially opened.
  2. 28 Mar '08 22:04
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    This has always struck me as strange.

    Most of the time it doesn't matter too much as usually White moves fairly quickly after the game starts but this is not always the case.

    E.g when a Tournament starts and a player happens to be on vacation. I'm experiencing this with one opponent at the moment.

    I see no reason why vacation shouldn't ...[text shortened]... trange that White's clock doesn't start as soon as the tournament is officially opened.
    The clock is in fact ticking, I'm not sure about timebank though but you will eventually be able to tiem them out

    e.g. Game 4689623
  3. Standard member JonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    29 Mar '08 18:33
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    The clock is in fact ticking, I'm not sure about timebank though but you will eventually be able to tiem them out

    e.g. Game 4689623
    THanks for your response

    This is my game (not) in progress at the mo...

    Game 4786341

    As you can see it still says White has 7 days to move.

    Now ... it's only 4 days or so since the tournament started so if he doesn't want to move until that's fair enough even if he's not on vacation.

    But is the clock going even if it still is on the original 7 days start time?
  4. 29 Mar '08 19:11
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    THanks for your response

    This is my game (not) in progress at the mo...

    Game 4786341

    As you can see it still says White has 7 days to move.

    Now ... it's only 4 days or so since the tournament started so if he doesn't want to move until that's fair enough even if he's not on vacation.

    But is the clock going even if it still is on the original 7 days start time?
    Yes, the clock is going, it just doesn't show. Once the time is used up, the skull will pop up.
  5. Standard member JonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    29 Mar '08 22:12
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Yes, the clock is going, it just doesn't show. Once the time is used up, the skull will pop up.
    Ah OK.

    Thanks for your reply.