1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    20 Apr '08 21:41
    Why not create a club for every flag that is represented on the site. You are automatically a member of the club that you display as your flag. This will encourage people to stick with one national flag and will give a sense of identity to players involved as they can try to become the highest rated player of their nationality! Think about it, it would make organising national championships a dodle! All of the foreign language nations would have a place to come together. Brazilian can talk to Brazilian, Russian to Russian, etc... It would increase the appeal of the site to ALL Nations, as players have somewhere to go to find their language! Perhaps even organise a 'Club championship' along the same lines as the annual site championship (3 rounds, 60 days timebank) to decide national champions...

Feasible?
  2. Standard memberO Artem O
    ParTizan
    Philadelphia, USA
    Moves
    20 Apr '08 22:421 edit
    ow great idea although it will make a lot of clubs, but i think its a great idea, same think as in clans some people have national clans

and i think you do have to become part of it automatically
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '08 07:41
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Why not create a club for every flag that is represented on the site. You are automatically a member of the club that you display as your flag. This will encourage people to stick with one national flag and will give a sense of identity to players involved as they can try to become the highest rated player of their nationality! Think about it, it would m ...[text shortened]... al site championship (3 rounds, 60 days timebank) to decide national champions...

Feasible?
    Interesting idea!

What about countries with many languages? Like Schweiz, who have four spoken languages? The talian part would surely like to be a part of Italy, and the german part of Italy (Bozen area) would surley be a part of Germany or Austria. Do they have to switch flag to be in a language area of their own, albeit not in their own country?
  4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    21 Apr '08 09:23
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Interesting idea!

What about countries with many languages? Like Schweiz, who have four spoken languages? The talian part would surely like to be a part of Italy, and the german part of Italy (Bozen area) would surley be a part of Germany or Austria. Do they have to switch flag to be in a language area of their own, albeit not in their own country?
    Well one would assume that it would make finding someone who spoke your language a lot easier! It would also mean that you would automatically be a member of a very large club, which would resolve the issue of getting sufficient members in the rating pool. Currently there is not a single club in existence that has sufficient members to have meaningful ratings. You need a few thousand people at least before ratings become realistic. Members of my club for example are limited to a pool of 60 players. Take out the non-subs (which is most of the players) as they have such limited game options and the remaining players have literally 20 or so opponents to choose from. A 2100 strength player in a situation like this is going to go undefeated for years and years!! National clubs would mean proper populated environments. The only slight issue is who would be the admin for each club if they are created automatically...??
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '08 10:08
    I like the idea.

If I am 'volunteered' into a club against my will, then I don't have to play any games within it. I can continue as I would have done, even without the membership in that club in particular.

But then we have the language thing.

And what about people in the same country, but are enimies to eachother anyway? Like the Turks and Kurds, like the Shiia and Sunni Iraqis, and probably more...
  6. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Apr '08 11:04
    How would you classify the UK and its various bits?
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    21 Apr '08 14:54
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    How would you classify the UK and its various bits?
    Simple, you become a member of the club which you have chosen as your flag! If you change your flag, you lose your previous rating and become provisional in the 'new' country...
  8. The sky
    Moves
    21 Apr '08 18:25
    I don't like the idea of forced club membership just because you use a flag. If you'd make it voluntary, sure, why not, although I personally don't think it should depend on the flag. For example, there are quite a few people here whose country of cictizenship is not the same as their country of residence. There are good reasons to use the flag of either country, but those reasons are not necessarily the same as for what club you would want to belong to; and if someone chooses to switch the flag from time to time to show that they belong to more than one country, I don't think xe should be punished for that by being thrown out of one club and start over in another one every time (messing up the ratings for the other club members as well).
  9. Standard memberGreen Frog
    soccer player
    USA
    Moves
    21 Apr '08 19:53
    I made one for the United states of America.
  10. ALG
    Moves
    03 May '08 17:27
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Why not create a club for every flag that is represented on the site. You are automatically a member of the club that you display as your flag. This will encourage people to stick with one national flag and will give a sense of identity to players involved as they can try to become the highest rated player of their nationality! Think about it, it would m ...[text shortened]... al site championship (3 rounds, 60 days timebank) to decide national champions...

Feasible?
    National champion? IMPOSSIBLE!
  11. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    03 May '08 17:55
    wouldn't this leave Antarctica out in the cold?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree