Next!
    😉
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Oct '15 11:241 edit
    Originally posted by orangutan
    Thread 147049 5th post and Thread 148048 7th post - straight after yours. It wasn't that hard to find Suzianne - you've heard of Google?
    Those posts were back in 2012, about one year after the thumbs were introduced.

But @SwissGambit stopped playing or posting here some time ago now.
    Quite right. Why suddenly put up this vote now, then?

Perhaps I spoke inaccurately. What I want is the name of the person whose recent suggestion to reveal the thumb votes caused Russ to put up this vote, not who originally thought of it. Because no doubt, whoever campaigns to cease letting a secret vote remain secret has an agenda, and I doubt that SwissGambit's original postings of this idea, way back in 2012, is what caused Russ to put up this vote.

You wonder what is the big deal. The big deal is that the secrecy of a vote is the only way to make that vote as honest as possible. This might not be a big deal to you Brits, but to Americans such as myself, the secret vote is a major tool in securing the honesty of those votes. Those who want to know the votes do so with one of two objectives. One is to confront those who vote against you so that you can 'buy' their vote, often though threats, making a mockery out of the system. And the second is to restrict all voting because the voters don't want to be threatened. The secret vote prevents all this. I'd go so far as to say that the secret vote is a pillar of democracy, for without it, democracy is weakened catastrophically.

SwissGambit was one of many whinging over a change to the system, allowing positive and negative voting, where only positive voting was allowed before. He knew, as I do, and as anyone should know, that eliminating the secrecy of votes renders the vote meaningless, and he knew that recs weren't coming back and so the next best thing was to render thumbs meaningless, so that they could then propose that they be abolished altogether.

But, thankfully, it looks like democracy has won this time. But our Moriarty is still out there, and will no doubt try again some other time.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 07:06
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Perhaps I spoke inaccurately. What I want is the name of the person whose recent suggestion to reveal the thumb votes caused Russ to put up this vote, not who originally thought of it. Because no doubt, whoever campaigns to cease letting a secret vote remain secret has an agend ...[text shortened]... on this time. But our Moriarty is still out there, and will no doubt try again some other time.
    Your paranoia is getting worse.
  4. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 01:39
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Your paranoia is getting worse.
    Actually Dive... I think you'll find her paranoia is getting better.
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 07:19

Perhaps I spoke inaccurately. What I want is the name of the person whose recent suggestion to reveal the thumb votes caused Russ to put up this vote, not who originally thought of it. Because no doubt, whoever campaigns to cease letting a secret vote remain secret has an agend ...[text shortened]... on this time. But our Moriarty is still out there, and will no doubt try again some other time.
    Wow.

That's an interesting insight into one American mind! What have you got against the British?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 07:49
    What I want is the name of the person whose recent suggestion to reveal the thumb votes caused Russ to put up this vote, not who originally thought of it.
    What are you going to do if you find out the name of the person?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '15 22:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    What are you going to do if you find out the name of the person?
    Thumb down all their posts.
  8. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    06 Nov '15 06:22
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Thumb down all their posts.
    To be bluntly honest .....we get a new feature that seems about as useful as a trapdoor on a lifeboat but couldn't the time that was laboriously spend to create this new feature be better spent on more important matters.....such as getting rid of engine users. That's just my fix on it but I'm sure there are many varying opinions about it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree