1. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    19 Jan '05 07:42
    Recently the layout for the email that you receive when utilising this feature has changed. Whereas before the games were a big ole block of text like so:

[Event "Challenge"] [Site "http://www.chessatwork.com"] [Date "xxxxx"] [Round "?"] [White "hopscotch"] [Black "xxxxxx"] [Result "1-0"] [GameId "xxxxxx"] 1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. e3 e6 4. Nb1c3 a6 5. Ng1f3 Qd8f6 6. Nf3e5 b5 7. cxb5 axb5 8. Ne5g4 Qf6f5 9. Bf1d3 Qf5g5 10. e4 Qg5g6 11. exd5 Qg6h5 12. dxc6 Nb8xc6 13. Bd3xb5 Bc8d7 14. O-O f5 15. Ng4e5 Ra8c8 16. Qd1xh5 g6 17. Ne5xg6 Nc6xd4 18. Ng6xh8 Ke8e7 19. Qh5xh7 Ke7d6 20. Qh7xd7 Kd6e5 21. Rf1e1 Ke5f6 22. Qd7f7 1-0

The games are now all neatly laid out like so:

[Event "Challenge"]
    [Site "http://www.chessatwork.com"]
    [Date "xxxxxx"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "hopscotch"]
    [Black "xxxxxx"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [GameId "xxxxx"]

1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. e3 e6 4. Nb1c3 a6 5. Ng1f3 Qd8f6 6. Nf3e5 b5
    7. cxb5 axb5 8. Ne5g4 Qf6f5 9. Bf1d3 Qf5g5 10. e4 Qg5g6 11. exd5 Qg6h5
    12. dxc6 Nb8xc6 13. Bd3xb5 Bc8d7 14. O-O f5 15. Ng4e5 Ra8c8 16. Qd1xh5 g6
    17. Ne5xg6 Nc6xd4 18. Ng6xh8 Ke8e7 19. Qh5xh7 Ke7d6 20. Qh7xd7 Kd6e5
    21. Rf1e1 Ke5f6 22. Qd7f7 1-0

The problem:

I personally didn't mind the previous layout. I email myself my games every day and print them out. With the old layout 40 games used to fit on 2 pages. Now it uses up 7 pages at least... is there any way that the old layout could be included, as an option, to save me a truckload of paper?
  2. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    19 Jan '05 07:46
    I think the "new layout" (how you called it) is just better, because it will be understood easier by chessapplications.
    You can load it into any texteditor and replace all new lines characters by spaces.
    But I think that saving space here does not make much sense.
    th
  3. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    19 Jan '05 07:57
    Originally posted by thire
    I think the "new layout" (how you called it) is just better, because it will be understood easier by chessapplications.
    You can load it into any texteditor and replace all new lines characters by spaces.
    But I think that saving space here does not make much sense.
    th
    Yes, I understand, a lot of people will think that it's better, which is why I ask for it to be an option for this email to also be available in a printer friendly format.
  4. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    19 Jan '05 09:593 edits
    I don't want to appear rude (never!), but I don't think that such an option makes sense.
    Why is this printer friendly? If you want to save paper when printing it, may be... but I have some better suggestion: decrease the textsize 😉
    You want to print it. But never read? 🙄 because this way will save paper but it is totally unreadable.
    Convinced? 😀
    If not, just replace (nearly every texteditor has such an option) all new lines ("\n" ) by spaces (" " ) and you have the "old format". (Well, not really, there was were linebreaks as well I think, but... I don't know exactly 😉 )
    th
  5. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    19 Jan '05 10:40
    Originally posted by thire
    I don't want to appear rude (never!), but I don't think that such an option makes sense.
    Why is this printer friendly? If you want to save paper when printing it, may be... but I have some better suggestion: decrease the textsize 😉
    You want to print it. But never read? 🙄 because this way will save paper but it is totally unreadable.
    Convinced? 😀
    If ...[text shortened]... , not really, there was were linebreaks as well I think, but... I don't know exactly 😉 )
    th
    Please, you're not being rude, speak your mind!

I know that this is a lot to ask, I'm sure not many people will use this feature in the same way that I do. It uses up a lot of paper because of the line spacing. I already decrease the text size significantly when printing, and my results are explained in my first post. All I am asking for is an option to have my games emailed to me in a condensed format so that I can print them without wasting too much paper.

Your advice about linebreaks is appreciated, but I don't have any text editor that removes these linebreaks.

I have never had a problem with the format being "unreadable" (as you say) before. All the moves are there, all the games are there, what's unreadable about that?
  6. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    19 Jan '05 23:16
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    Please, you're not being rude, speak your mind!

I know that this is a lot to ask, I'm sure not many people will use this feature in the same way that I do. It uses up a lot of paper because of the line spacing. I already decrease the text size significantly when printing, and my results are explained in my first post. All I am asking for is an option ...[text shortened]... ou say) before. All the moves are there, all the games are there, what's unreadable about that?
    okay, decreasing textsize is independent of your idea. your point

I thought that Windows' preinstalled Texteditors (like wordPad - perhaps you use this? Or Winword?) can replace new lines by something. I was wrong here 🙁 your point.
    I mean, you can download many free texteditors (any suggestion needed?) that can do this, but I agree, that installing new software to solve your problem, isn't very good...

when you find this readable I just can congratualte you 🙂 your point again!

What shall I say now? 😵

th

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree