Fast games

Fast games

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Lon

Johannesburg

Moves
22 Aug 12

Dear RHP,
This site is simply great and I am having a lot of fun, but I detect a real need by number of players - including myself - to play rapid games. How difficult would it be to allow for this? E.g. 15, 30, 45 or 60 minutes or whatever? When a new game challenge is tabled, the short period can as easily be stipulated as the current time limits; and then the option is there for the taking or leaving? Commencing a game and playing to the death without breaks of days is after all how the game has traditionally been played, and how we all grew to know, love and play the game. This off course, could be established without detracting at all, on the current state of play. I do suppose that it would near impracticable to implement this in tournaments as well - although that would be really enjoyable.
Kind regards
Leon

The Lon

Johannesburg

Moves
22 Aug 12

I omitted to mention that, I have no option - whenever I feel the need for a rapid game - to go elsewhere. I would love the opportunity to do this, at this site.
Again - regards
Leon

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
22 Aug 12

Originally posted by Outback
I omitted to mention that, I have no option - whenever I feel the need for a rapid game - to go elsewhere. I would love the opportunity to do this, at this site.
Again - regards
Leon
Top right, under log out

BLITZ
BLOGS
CLUBS

They are unrated however.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
23 Aug 12

Again - regards
Leon
You wouldn't ask for that if you'd seen http://www.timeforchess.com/blitz/blitzchess.php.

There's nothing wrong with having other options. 😛

The Lon

Johannesburg

Moves
23 Aug 12

Many thanks

Australia

Moves
23 Aug 12

The blitz facility here isn't great, but it's there. With turn-based chess it's hard to come up with a fair system because of differing time zones. As there aren't many Aussies playing here I need time to make moves that may not suit opponents in other time zones.

What would be really good is some way for opponents to indicate that they're available for next 2 hours from NOW.

The Lon

Johannesburg

Moves
25 Aug 12

I fully agree with you Kewpie, I tried the blitz and it is far from great. In fact there are more often than not only between 3 -5 players available. If there could be a facility where you indicate in your challenge that you seek a 2 hour game - to the death - and for you to stipulate the commencement date and time. Players will learn quickly enough what the international time zone used means to them. It will also be great if these rapid games could - by choice - be rated or not. Regards All

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
25 Aug 12

I fully agree with you Kewpie, I tried the blitz and it is far from great. In fact there are more often than not only between 3 -5 players available. If there could be a facility where you indicate in your challenge that you seek a 2 hour game - to the death - and for you to stipulate the commencement date and time. Players will learn quickly enough what the ...[text shortened]... hem. It will also be great if these rapid games could - by choice - be rated or not. Regards All
There is (sort of) a facility to do this already. Start a thread seeking a game, 60 min with 60s increment, starting at 1900hrs [GMT +/- X hours]. Have them meet you on RHP blitz at the appointed time.

Australia

Moves
25 Aug 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit
There is (sort of) a facility to do this already. Start a thread seeking a game, 60 min with 60s increment, starting at 1900hrs [GMT +/- X hours]. Have them meet you on RHP blitz at the appointed time.
You're right that it can be done, but you're limited to those people who read forums, which is only a small % of the player pool. A "quick game" option on the Open Invites page - how does that sound?

The Lon

Johannesburg

Moves
27 Aug 12

Sounds great and I am sure it will be well used.

Australia

Moves
27 Aug 12

Are you listening, Russ? We probably need to drum up supporters to get this even considered, so if you like the idea please post and ask your opponents to do the same. Power to the people ...

The Lon

Johannesburg

Moves
27 Aug 12

Here is a good suggestion I received from a member.

perhaps you could suggest a page with six columns. the top of each column would list a major world city ( making six
times zones ). one could post a game in the city closest to where you live and wait for someone to pick it up if they feel they live close to that major city. these would be one hour games and would be unrated so there would be no advantage to running out the clock by not moving. one would play just for the sake of playing one opponent at one time.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
29 Aug 12
1 edit

As things stand now, no further work will take place on the existing blitz client.

The new RHP board interface will be used by both the correspondence site and a subsequent blitz replacement. This will result in devices with no Flash support (iPads) to play blitz here. I can't talk about dates for this - the new UI release is a priority right now.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
29 Aug 12

Originally posted by Russ
As things stand now, no further work will take place on the [b]existing blitz client.

The new RHP board interface will be used by both the correspondence site and a subsequent blitz replacement. This will result in devices with no Flash support (iPads) to play blitz here. I can't talk about dates for this - the new UI release is a priority right now.[/b]
Are you beta-testing the new UI at some point? I'd be interested in testing it.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
29 Aug 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Are you beta-testing the new UI at some point? I'd be interested in testing it.
Check out the club. I was close to starting the beta back in April, before halting it and expanding the scope of work.