1. Joined
    04 Sep '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '06 12:56
    Hi,

When I am searching for new people to play against I want to see only people who are in the same move frequence as me.

It would be nice if the filter conditions could include that
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    25 Oct '06 17:14
    Originally posted by DarkCowherd
    Hi,

When I am searching for new people to play against I want to see only people who are in the same move frequence as me.

The 'move frequency' that people state is not an enforced feature and thus I wouldn't take too much much notice of it meself.
  3. Joined
    03 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 08:001 edit
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    The 'move frequency' that people state is not an enforced feature and thus I wouldn't take too much much notice of it meself.
    Agreed. So wouldn't it be useful to also show 'Moves this month' as well as the frequency icon on the find player front page?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 08:45
    Originally posted by Purple Ocean
    Agreed. So wouldn't it be useful to also show 'Moves this month' as well as the frequency icon on the find player front page?
    'Moves this month' is of no value the 1st of every month.
    I rather suggest 'Moves the last 30 days'.

But even this measure doesn't say anythin if it is not compared with number of games in progress. A person with a lot of games generates(perhaps) a high number of moves but he has still no time for our game.

So a good measure of activity would be number of moves the recent 30 days divided by number of games in progress.

But even this measure gives false result if the player abruptly changes his behaviour.
  5. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 10:33
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

But even this measure doesn't say anythin if it is not compared with number of games in progress. A person with a lot of games generates(perhaps) a high number of moves but he has still no time for our game.

So a good measure of activity would be nu ...[text shortened]... .

But even this measure gives false result if the player abruptly changes his behaviour.
    Also taking into account that the number of games in progress can fluctuate a lot.
  6. Joined
    03 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 13:57
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

So a good measure of activity would be nu ...[text shortened]... .

You're right of course.

I suggested adding 'moves this month' because it is shown on everyone's 'my home' page - the data is presumably stored in the system and therefore readily available.

You have highlighted some of the reasons why this figure wouldn't give an accurate idea of future behaviour, but it would offer a better guide to predicting move frequency of a potential opponent than the move frequency icon.

Agreed recent 30 days would be better, divided by games finished or in progress, but is that data available in the system?

Perhaps even more useful would be average 'move time' - how long taken for each move. This would take into account that a player can only move at his turn. Again, is this data held?

I guess adding 'moves this month' to the 'find player' page would be a simple change to the system. There are better alternatives, as you have explained, but I imagine that they wouldn't be as easy to implement.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 17:16
    Originally posted by DarkCowherd
    Hi,

Why not just set a time control that is appropriate to the type of game you want?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree